Bull Temp probes test

NinoRT700

Grill(s) owned
  1. Bull
New to the pellet world. Just got an RT-700 for fathers day and decided to check the probes out and the temp of grill itself.
So testing the probes I did the ice water test and used my thermoworks dot to confirm they were correct.
So they were both correct and all at 32*
so next i set the grill at 250* and set the 3 probes above the grates on a brick in the center.
The issue started now.
(Ran test for an hour or so)
Grill was reading 250 but the 3 probes were all over.
My dot and probe A were the closest reading 269-273 at one point while grill read 254 and probe B was at 248 than another point
probe A and dot were 253-256 while grill read 250 and probe B read 236
Spoke to recteq and was told the probes werent good to read ambient and desire despite being next to each other were all over the place because of that and to trust the grill and it was definitely accurate so not to worry.
Any help and opinions with this is great. Thanks for reading this long post lol and help

Try it with a known good oven thermometer in grill. The PID is only going to be as accurate as the RTD probe on the left side of the grill.

I really don't see how they can the say the RTD is definitely accurate. It should be, but they sell replacements for a reason.

Last edited:
Try it with a known good oven thermometer in grill. The PID is only going to be as accurate as the RTD probe on the left side of the grill.

I really don't see how they can the say the RTD is definitely accurate. It should be, but they sell replacements for a reason.
Ill give that a shot in a little bit. Have one i use.
if it wasnt for the fact that all 3 probes were reading totally didn’t temps while being placed right next to each other id be able to understand where they were coming from.
But hopefully i get a solid answer by using the regular oven thermometer

How about setting the controller at 200* and put all three in a pan of hot tap water and see what they all settle down to. If the water starts boiling then you'll know something.

The brick idea isn't the best. They will heat up at different rates. Ball up some foil about size of a 50¢ piece and stick probes thru. RT has videos for different calibrations if needed.

Edit: reread your post, thought you had different bricks with probes on them in different spots in grill.

You should do the same test in your oven and see what results you get, they will be much worse.
Don't worry over a 20-degree difference, the food will turn out the same.
Relax, drink a beer and enjoy the great food coming off your Rec Teq.

The brick idea isn't the best. They will heat up at different rates. Ball up some foil about size of a 50¢ piece and stick probes thru. RT has videos for different calibrations if needed.

Edit: reread your post, thought you had different bricks with probes on them in different spots in grill.
Going to throw my oven thermometer first to see how accurate that is with it then I’ll try the probes. The main thing that made me confused was that they all were good with the ice water but all over the place in the grill. After that I’ll give the foil a try too

So just tested the pellet out and had an oven thermometer in it too. Set it at 250* and about 35min after it grill hit temp i checked and thermometer read 240* (also factor in opening the lid and taking a picture) so i think I’d be comfortable to say it’s pretty much on

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back