Trailblazer Bull is putting up some great smoke rings, people are right 3-2-1 is to much.

OldBull

Military Veteran
Grill(s) owned
  1. Trailblazer
3-2-1 is to much, my salt was to much and 2 hours wrapped is to much.. More like 45 min if you need them done faster. My Bull is starting to come around now that I have tossed the onboard meat probes ( I don't use them for ribs anyway). 4 1/2 to 5 hours on a full rack of spare ribs, pull the membrane, keep the salt down, wrap 45 minutes at most and cook at 250°. So my formula has now become 4 - .75 - .5 . 4 hour cook - 45 min wrapped (if needed) - 30 minutes carmelizing sauce. My smoke rings are looking awesome on long cooks.

The Bull is starting to pay off. I have found that my pellet smoker is subject to a radiant heat problem. The internal construction is so crowded and the heat / flame deflector is so close to the fire pot that it heats up and becomes a source of radiant heat that in turn heats the drip pan up and becomes a source of heat. This is why we have to put the fat cap down on some cooks. The next time I cook something with trimmings, I think I am going to lay the extra trimmings on top of the meat so that it can melt down into it.

So I want to thank and endorse those that say 3-2-1 is to much and that 2 hours wrapped is to much. Sorry no photos, I was hungry !!!

Anyway, just some Monday morning ramblings, stay safe, eat well and have a nice day.

If I do 3-2-1 method I’ll do 3 hrs on extreme smoke the bump it up to 250 for 2 hours wrapped then 1 hr unwrapped. That seems to work good for me. Everybody has a different technique but we eventually get the product we want in the end.

3-2-1 is to much, my salt was to much and 2 hours wrapped is to much.. More like 45 min if you need them done faster. My Bull is starting to come around now that I have tossed the onboard meat probes ( I don't use them for ribs anyway). 4 1/2 to 5 hours on a full rack of spare ribs, pull the membrane, keep the salt down, wrap 45 minutes at most and cook at 250°. So my formula has now become 4 - .75 - .5 . 4 hour cook - 45 min wrapped (if needed) - 30 minutes carmelizing sauce. My smoke rings are looking awesome on long cooks.

The Bull is starting to pay off. I have found that my pellet smoker is subject to a radiant heat problem. The internal construction is so crowded and the heat / flame deflector is so close to the fire pot that it heats up and becomes a source of radiant heat that in turn heats the drip pan up and becomes a source of heat. This is why we have to put the fat cap down on some cooks. The next time I cook something with trimmings, I think I am going to lay the extra trimmings on top of the meat so that it can melt down into it.

So I want to thank and endorse those that say 3-2-1 is to much and that 2 hours wrapped is to much. Sorry no photos, I was hungry !!!

Anyway, just some Monday morning ramblings, stay safe, eat well and have a nice day.
I pull the membrane before smoking & season with my own dry rub recipe & let it sit for an hour or 2. It's awesome.
What's the 3-2-1 method? And how does it compare wth yours?

I tested a half rack and they came out fantastic. My buddies actually said "award winning." 3-2-1 is too long for the RT-590. I used "simply marvelous cherry" rubbed lightly, unwrapped on the smoker 2 hrs. I sauce (sweet baby ray's) and foil for 2 hrs. Then unwrapped for 30 plus minutes so the sauce gets sticky. So far I've done it 2x this way and they came out great.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FISCH75
Back