Bull chamber temp vs. probe

Stratmeister

Grill(s) owned
  1. Bull
So I’ve done several cooks on my Bull at this point. I always keep a ThermoWorks Signals alongside the Bull probes due to outages, etc...

But my question is with the main temp probe. A calibrated and trusted Signals probe consistently reads 20 degrees lower than the Bull thinks the pit is.

You guys have this offset? What would you do, just remember the pit is 20 lower and bump the Bull by 20 degrees? Can the probe be adjusted that much to make it more accurate? Just don’t worry about it and use the Signals? Just don’t consider it at all? And if so any adjustments to feed rate required?

Thinking out loud really... 🤷🏼‍♂️

So I’ve done several cooks on my Bull at this point. I always keep a ThermoWorks Signals alongside the Bull probes due to outages, etc...

But my question is with the main temp probe. A calibrated and trusted Signals probe consistently reads 20 degrees lower than the Bull thinks the pit is.

You guys have this offset? What would you do, just remember the pit is 20 lower and bump the Bull by 20 degrees? Can the probe be adjusted that much to make it more accurate? Just don’t worry about it and use the Signals? Just don’t consider it at all? And if so any adjustments to feed rate required?

Thinking out loud really... 🤷🏼‍♂️

The probes I laid on the grill surface were ~20deg off, but I attributed it to difference in elevation between the tip of the bull's probe and the grill surface.

The offset calibration just lets you adjust the temp to what works for you. If you have a trusted probe and you want the grill to match that you can. If you want the probe/controller to match what is happening right at grate level you can have that. If like me you aren’t a good enough cook to worry about it you can leave it where it is.
I would suggest if you have third party probes that you like to use that you set the offset to match that.

Saw this thread yesterday and was curious. Got the 590 last July but never checked the temperature accuracy. Set the RT to 250 and put a Maverick probe clipped to the grates in the center but next to the RT probe.

When the RT settled in at 250, the Maverick was exactly 250. Good enough for me.

Same happened to me. I used a separate trusted ambient thermometer and placed it near the center of the empty chamber as a test and mine was also about 20 degrees off on the Bull 700. I first thought it might be that the meat was too the internal probe, but after further testing, that wasn't the case. So I watched recteq a video and changed the calibration. I'm now getting much less thick white billowing smoke at lower temp cooking, but they say that a 'cleaner smoke' is better anyway.

My situation is reversed and not sure which probe to go by….:unsure:

set temp/reading: 215
maverick: 230
MEATER: 240

MEATER probe was bit elevated as it’s was inserted in the meat and was more towards the center.

Maverick was at grill level and ~1ft from the pit probe.

Thoughts?

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Latest posts

Back