Brisket (work in progress)

Hawkness

Lifetime Premium!
Premium Member
Grill(s) owned
  1. Stampede
  2. Bullseye
Still trying to "perfect" the brisket on the 590. Currently 1 hour in on "LO". (I forgot to get a picture before I put it on!) Pan underneath is to catch any goodness for use with the burnt ends. I will post a "final product...if it is not too embarrassing! (olive oil binder, with Heffer Dust)

Attachments

• brisket-1.jpg
    brisket-1.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 129
Key to brisket is the hold. Once you have it prob tender hold it for hours. Wrapped.

UPDATE - Wrapped at 160. I probably should have waited for a little more bark, but I needed to get it wrapped so I could get some work/errands done. In this case, I probably didn't need the pan to catch any drippings, I could have used a tablespoon! (I hope that is not a sign of the driest brisket in the West!)

Attachments

• brisket-1a.jpg
    brisket-1a.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 105
Looking good. Rolling a lil brisket myself. I like the boat method. I’ve started boating it earlier before the meat starts the purge. Great back up top.

Sounds about right. I cook mine at 225F ( the entire cook ) until 160-165F internal, then tight double wrap in butcher paper till around 200F. Wrap the whole mess up (while the brisket is still wrapped) in a beach towel and place inside an empty ice chest for about 3 hours.
I use mustard as a binder, liberally rub with garlic salt, salt, celery salt, black pepper. Perfection every time. I do not know why, but cook times vary. Have done them 12-12hrs., last one took 16, but follow the temps, works perfect every time.

As a side note, had been using Lumberjack pellets, always got a weird taste on initial bite, same with pork. Switched over to BBQ Delight, no more taste problem.

By this you mean letting it rest in a cooler?
In a cooler, cambro, your kitchen oven if you can set it low enough, a electric roaster, anything that lets you keep the brisket above 140 and below 170.

I usually hold wrapped briskets in a cooler with towels above and below it for up to 4 hours. Earlier this week I did a smaller brisket that finished WAY early so I got out the electric roaster and held it in there for 12 hours. I kept a probe in the brisket and ambient probe in the roaster to make sure I was keeping the temps I wanted. It ended up being the best brisket I’ve ever done.

In a cooler, cambro, your kitchen oven if you can set it low enough, a electric roaster, anything that lets you keep the brisket above 140 and below 170.

I usually hold wrapped briskets in a cooler with towels above and below it for up to 4 hours. Earlier this week I did a smaller brisket that finished WAY early so I got out the electric roaster and held it in there for 12 hours. I kept a probe in the brisket and ambient probe in the roaster to make sure I was keeping the temps I wanted. It ended up being the best brisket I’ve ever done.
Yep. I hold in the oven at 170 or the 590 at 180 for hours until it’s eating time.

About how long after do you put it in the cooler after taking it off the grill?

@antonioortega410 I keep a probe in it an put it in the cooler once the temp drops below 195 or so. If I’m just using the cooler (no external heat source like the roaster) I want a little extra temp so I can hold it longer since my cooler isn’t the best. I let the temp drop to about 180 if using the electric roaster.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back