Brisket - Size?

I’d say just about all of them, although I’m sure there could be some monster briskets out there. The cooking zone is 22” x 7”, but the grates are actually 16” deep so some overhang of the wide part of the point wouldn’t be the end of the world.

And any minor "oversize" can be mitigated in the beginning of the cook with an object under the slab of meat; e.g. empty can, hunk of smoking wood, foil wrapped rock or just a large wad of foil.....anything that will tolerate the heat. As the brisket cooks it shrinks, so later in the cook the propping device can be removed. Secondary benefit is that also eliminates pooling of the surface moisture which in turn will add to firm bark formation.

im not familiar with the 340 but if you have to over hang the drip tray you might could shield that part of the meat with some aluminum foil. just try to block the air flow as little as possible. i have seen that done on delicate parts of whole hogs on big off sets. what you guys think about that? i could be offering a bad suggestion.

And any minor "oversize" can be mitigated in the beginning of the cook with an object under the slab of meat; e.g. empty can, hunk of smoking wood, foil wrapped rock or just a large wad of foil.....anything that will tolerate the heat. As the brisket cooks it shrinks, so later in the cook the propping device can be removed. Secondary benefit is that also eliminates pooling of the surface moisture which in turn will add to firm bark formation.
I forgot about that as an option; thanks for the reminder!

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back