Brisket Point Question

BethV

Premium Member!
Premium Member
Grill(s) owned
  1. Stampede
  2. Bullseye
I'm wondering how you all handle your brisket when you make burnt ends from the point. When it's just me and my hubby, I cook the full packer and when the brisket is ready, I separate the point and begin the burnt ends process. Doing that leaves an ugly area where the point was removed. For the two of us, it's no big deal.

We are having a party and making a full packer along with the burnt ends. I want the bark on my brisket to look good all over. The obvious solution is to separate the point prior to cooking. I've done that a long time ago and in my notes I wrote to not do that again. Don't really remember why.

So, do you separate your point and flat when you know you are making burnt ends from the point to keep the integrity of the bark on the flat, or do you cook it whole and ignore the barkless area where the point was?

Thanks!

I'm wondering how you all handle your brisket when you make burnt ends from the point. When it's just me and my hubby, I cook the full packer and when the brisket is ready, I separate the point and begin the burnt ends process. Doing that leaves an ugly area where the point was removed. For the two of us, it's no big deal.

We are having a party and making a full packer along with the burnt ends. I want the bark on my brisket to look good all over. The obvious solution is to separate the point prior to cooking. I've done that a long time ago and in my notes I wrote to not do that again. Don't really remember why.

So, do you separate your point and flat when you know you are making burnt ends from the point to keep the integrity of the bark on the flat, or do you cook it whole and ignore the barkless area where the point was?

Thanks!
I have only done the brisket burnt ends a couple of times, I ignore the scarred end on the point or cut the point prior to serving so the guests don't see it.

I like the way Matt from Meat Church trims his brisket for burnt end. Go to YouTube and watch the Meat Church video on "Brisket Burnt Ends".

I have done it his way a few times and really like the results and I like that I can still cook the whole packer brisket without separating the point from the flat.

I do it the way you do it. I cook the whole packer to 203 internal in the flat, let the brisket rest and then cut off the point and dice into cubes and put back on the smoker with butter and brown sugar.

I've never tried separating them....maybe I should try.

There's no wrong or right way of doing it, as you see. The way I like to do it, again this is just me, I smoke it whole and when I get to the stall and before I wrap it, I separate the two sections.

Unfortunately if you wrap it you won't be able to hide the sliced end. If you leave it unwrapped you can apply some rub to that area and as it finishes that area will crust over..

Good luck and let us know how your proceed with it..

@Ovr Ice thank you for the tip regarding Meat Church's burnt ends. It's a great video and he shows you how to trim the brisket so that the point and the flat are almost separated for the long cook. They both wind up with great bark. I'm going to try it this way. Here's the link
Good luck with the brisket. Let us know how it worked out for the party!

I will. Party is at the end of August (Texas Style BBQ theme). Planning ahead

Beth,
Sounds like you're on the right path. From what all my Texas friends say, Texans like beef, no pork, classically smoked on white oak or mesquite. At least the west Texans. :) I think pecan is more a central-east Texas thing.

Last year, I did a brisket trimmed per Harry Soo's competition style method that exposes much of the point. But there is a lot of meat trimmed off that needs re-purposing, like maybe frozen until you get enough scraps to make sausage.

Beth:
We seperate the Point from the Flat .... season them both and smoke them as two Cuts
If we're cooking Burnt Ends, I'll cut the Point into two smaller pieces before smoking them
That yields more Bark and Smoke (three of the six sides) per bite
Pic before adding Sauce to them (Momma doesn't care for BBQ Sauce):
Burnt Ends.jpeg

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back