Brisket- newbie question

geneseohawk

When cooking a brisket the brisket is thicker at the Point vs the flat end. I assume you would put your probe in the thickest part of the point? Will this dry out the flat thinner end during the cooking process? I am planning to cook until 203 pull, wrap and put in a cooler for hours.

thanks.

FWIW I always put the probe in the thickest part of the flat. The point tends to take care of itself during a brisket cook, concentrate on the flat and it’ll turn out great.

I don't think you will have an issue, when I smoke a brisket to full heat, right after the stall I will put some aluminum foil on the flat to reduce the direct heat the flat gets so it will stay moist. For me, I usually use the texas crutch at the stall and cook from there, reduces time.

Yes, if you are only using one probe, it goes into the thickest part. If the thickness difference between the point and the flat isn’t huge, I don’t think the flat will dry out very much by the time the point reaches your target internal temperature. That’s just how brisket cooks.

Some briskets have a really thick point and/or thin flat, however. In that case, you may be better off separating them along the seam and cooking the pieces separately. This is a fairly common practice among brisket folks.

Yes, if you are only using one probe, it goes into the thickest part. If the thickness difference between the point and the flat isn’t huge, I don’t think the flat will dry out very much by the time the point reaches your target internal temperature. That’s just how brisket cooks.

Some briskets have a really thick point and/or thin flat, however. In that case, you may be better off separating them along the seam and cooking the pieces separately. This is a fairly common practice among brisket folks.
Jim,
I separated them a few times. Made for great burnt ends from the point. Then recently, I started cooking them together again, wanting that mix of point and flat in a slice. I like both ways. Hard to decide.

2 probes. One in the flat, one in the Point (thickest parts). which ever reaches the stall temp first, wrap it until the other part reaches same temp, then re-wrap as one piece again.

PS. There is nothing stating you cant wrap before the stall (Stalls usually happen around the 160°-165° temp range, meat stops taking in smoke when it reaches 150°), your goal before the wrap is to get as much smoke and your bark to form. Once you get the bark you want, wrap away until final temp. 203-205. then pull and let rest ( I prefer 1 hour rest), before cutting.

When cooking a brisket the brisket is thicker at the Point vs the flat end. I assume you would put your probe in the thickest part of the point? Will this dry out the flat thinner end during the cooking process? I am planning to cook until 203 pull, wrap and put in a cooler for hours.

thanks.
Short answer is yes. As someone pointed out, you can foil it locally during the bark forming stage, after the bark has formed on that section. Fat cap down, prop the center up with a big chunk of wood about the size of a baseball. This ensures that the secretions don't pool and prevent bark formation.

thanks.
When I prepare the full brisket I inject the flat part with beef bone broth (or just beef broth) to give it moisture and tenderize it during the cook. I put the point towards the right side of the grill, fat side up, on my 1250, since it runs hotter on that side. I wrap it in butcher paper and coat it with beef tallow once it hits 175-185 degrees and put it back on with the fat side down to help maintain the bark. I take it off when it feels like butter when probing it, the temp can be between 200-205 degrees. If you are only using one temperature probe put it in the thickest part of the flat. Make sure no part of the brisket is sitting past the sides of the drip tray or it will overcook anything hanging over the side of the drip tray. There are several great YouTube video’s out there by Meat Church and Mad Scientist BBQ, to name a couple, that may be good to watch. Just don’t stress out about it, keep it a 225 and it will work out in the end!

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back