Brisket help, TXgunlover are you there ?

OldBull

Military Veteran
Grill(s) owned
  1. Trailblazer
I originally posted this as a conversation, but the truth is I don't know exactly what that function is. Anyone can chime in and offer there suggestions.

@TXGunLover, I have seen you post about briskets before in the RT 340 forums and was wondering if you would tell me your method for cooking a brisket. Fatside up or down, point toward the hopper or to the right? How long do your briskets take to cook? What temp? How much do you trim? Untrimmed, it weighs 16.62 lbs. I am a little afraid of overcooking the bottom because the bull always seems to get to much radiant heat there. I would appreciate any suggestions.

So I'm not sure if you are looking for a specific recipe or just a good winning recipe. I have a bull and had good luck with the following Matt at Meat Church.

For trimming watch:

For overnight cook I follow this:

My 16-17lbers typically take about 15 hours following this approach and have turned out great.

I know this thread is about brisket and not about BBQ experts, but since his name came up... Matt at Meat Church knows his stuff, and is not so full of himself that he is unpleasant to watch. Malcom Reed is another very knowledgeable, and pleasant, individual.

I originally posted this as a conversation, but the truth is I don't know exactly what that function is. Anyone can chime in and offer there suggestions.

@TXGunLover, I have seen you post about briskets before in the RT 340 forums and was wondering if you would tell me your method for cooking a brisket. Fatside up or down, point toward the hopper or to the right? How long do your briskets take to cook? What temp? How much do you trim? Untrimmed, it weighs 16.62 lbs. I am a little afraid of overcooking the bottom because the bull always seems to get to much radiant heat there. I would appreciate any suggestions.
Just saw this... replied to you in PM... Fat down, 225 the whole way... wrap in butcher paper at the stall... 14-18 hours...

Thank you, much appreciated, I went with a pan to keep off radiant heat which I think is a problem with pellet grills. I don't know quite what happened but,,,,,,,,,, It's going perfect !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Trimmed, then salt, pepper and a little garlic powder and back in the fridge at 4pm. On at 11pm, 220°, fat side up, in a pan with a grate to raise it off the bottom, woke up at 5am not knowing what I would have and it was right where I wanted it to be 157°. 2 hours later at 7am it stalled around 166°. I wrapped it when it hit 167°, it was golden mahogany with a few areas a little darker. I am shooting for a 12 to 2pm cooler time and I am right on schedule. I am going 220° all the way and no spritzing, It is damp and foggy here.

A couple of thing I noticed.
1. Lumber Jack Oak pellets break much easier than the pit boss apple I have.
2. My Packer (Sam's club Prime) looked much different than most I had seen in trimming videos, the point was much wider and the flat much longer and a little thicker. I may have committed a sin, but the flat was long enough I cut 7" off for another meal some day. That left a 9 lb brisket with the point and 4" of flat, a 4lb vacuumed sealed flat I froze, and 3.5 pounds of trimmngs.
3. I am falling in love with pans, clean up is completely different, just walk over to the trash can. Tough overcooked bottoms gone, stuck on pork butts eliminated. I will still place ribs straight on the grate.
4. Kosher salt, it rolls off, pools in places. Not sure what the answer is but might look for different suggestions.

Thanks for the help everyone.

12pm noon temp is 196°

1:47pm 203° Butta !!!!!!!

P.S. wrapping in paper is not liquid tight, be careful when you pick it up or you will have an oily mess !!!

Last edited:
Thank you, much appreciated, I went with a pan to keep off radiant heat which I think is a problem with pellet grills. I don't know quite what happened but,,,,,,,,,, It's going perfect !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
What pan/rack are you using? Something like a hotel steam table pan with a cooling rack in the bottom? Any liquid in the bottom other than the drippings?

I just saw your post this morning. I used something from the kitchen used to elevate food while cooling. Just a metal / chrome cooling rack inside an aluminum pan from the grocery store. If I remember right I did spritz it 4 times with apple cider and water 50-50.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Latest posts

Back