Brisket Approximate Smoking Times

CurtisK

Grill(s) owned
  1. Bull
Is there a approximate time table, by weight and temps, for smoking brisket? As someone very new, I am just trying to get an idea of how much time I should allow for smoking/resting a brisket, depending on weight, to plan between starting and eating. Thanks Much for any info.

There is the 1.5 hour general rule of thumb, but that is only a general guess. There are so many variables with meat, moisture, fat, collagen and such that it really is close to impossible to guess.

Plan earlier than you anticipate, as a longer rest is always fine. Keep a cooking log and track your cooks. Thats the best way to figure out general cook times on your setup.

Meat can't tell time. Cook to internal temperature and feel/tenderness instead. Every piece will be different regardless of cut and weight.

It's good advice to finish earlier than your planned serving time. Remember meat should rest after cooking and larger cuts can sit in a cooler for hours and remain warm. I've read one person who suggests finishing 4 hours early, to give wiggle room in case of issues.

Last edited:
Here's what works for us:
MEATSMOKER TEMPSMOKING TIMEMEAT TEMPRUBS OR SAUSESMISC INFO
Beef BrisketU@LO / W@270Start time 10:30pmU@150 / W@200Garlic Pepper Salt Grinder Blend for 24 hrsU 8 + (Paper)W 8 + Rest 2+

And we get this:
Brisket.jpg

Here's what works for us:
MEATSMOKER TEMPSMOKING TIMEMEAT TEMPRUBS OR SAUSESMISC INFO
Beef BrisketU@LO / W@270Start time 10:30pmU@150 / W@200Garlic Pepper Salt Grinder Blend for 24 hrsU 8 + (Paper)W 8 + Rest 2+

And we get this:
View attachment 9651
Thank you. I also found the below table on the bbqdryrubs site. Of course these are only approximates but, it does give me some idea.
Cooking MethodTime Per PoundTotal Cook Time For 12 Pound Brisket
250F1 hour 15 min15 hours
250F + Butcher Paper1 hour12 hours
250F + Foil45 min9 hours
300F + Foil30 min6 hours

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back