Bullseye Brisket advice

sweeter94626

Military Veteran
Grill(s) owned
  1. Bullseye
Morning everyone,

I ended up with these 2 small briskets from a steer we recently had butchered. Of the 2 one is 1.8 LBS and the other is 1.6 LBS.

Do these need trimmed down before cooking?

Thanks,
Billy G

184E85D0-2AD8-49C2-BBAE-6FA2934BBCFF.jpeg

CCA483D5-656F-4974-BB33-B52B2418C3DB.jpeg

EFAA108D-75C1-46F1-8F96-02CB726486FF.jpeg

Yep, what @Greg Jones told you is my recommendation as well. I’m surprised that the butcher cut them so small. It appears that he cut the flat in half; maybe in thirds. The smaller pieces may well be easier and quicker cooks, however. Let us know how it works out.

Yep, what @Greg Jones told you is my recommendation as well. I’m surprised that the butcher cut them so small. It appears that he cut the flat in half; maybe in thirds. The smaller pieces may well be easier and quicker cooks, however. Let us know how it works out.
We used an Amish butcher this round. No complaints other than how they did the brisket.

We used an Amish butcher this round. No complaints other than how they did the brisket.
Ahhhh, that makes sense. The Amish would prepare brisket in a Dutch oven similar to a pot-roast. Next time you use that butcher, just ask to have the brisket left whole.

Did you get the entire steer, a half, or a quarter? It’s not uncommon when getting a quarter of beef to get what is commonly called a mixed quarter, where all four shares would include a fourth of the briskets. I always preferred a full or half side for that reason, then I still needed to fight for some of the tongue, brains, and heart!

Did you get the entire steer, a half, or a quarter? It’s not uncommon when getting a quarter of beef to get what is commonly called a mixed quarter, where all four shares would include a fourth of the briskets. I always preferred a full or half side for that reason, then I still needed to fight for some of the tongue, brains, and heart!
We raise them...we just took a quarter this time. We just took a steer in May to butcher.

Ahhhh, that makes sense. The Amish would prepare brisket in a Dutch oven similar to a pot-roast. Next time you use that butcher, just ask to have the brisket left whole.
Makes since to me. We will use them again for sure. I will just have to explain extactly what I want.

Nice!

Years ago i also was very active in ATA trapshooting, was actually fairly good at it. When it was their world HQ, I spent a lot of time at competitions in Vandalia.

Have you been to Eldora?
I have not, but always wanted to go there. I used to live in southern Ohio, was part of a local 1/4 /3/8 mile modified dirt track team but Eldora was never on our radar. My dad, now deceased, went to the big annual summer Eldora race every year. But that was back when Eldora was not a big a deal as it is now since TS bought the track. Fun times!

I have not, but always wanted to go there. I used to live in southern Ohio, was part of a local 1/4 /3/8 mile modified dirt track team but Eldora was never on our radar. My dad, now deceased, went to the big annual summer Eldora race every year. But that was back when Eldora was not a big a deal as it is now since TS bought the track. Fun times!
What part of S Ohio. I've been going up there since the early 80's back when it was a dump. TS and investors really dumped some money in the place.

What part of S Ohio. I've been going up there since the early 80's back when it was a dump. TS and investors really dumped some money in the place.
Brown County, across the river from Maysville Ky. I later moved north and lived in the Columbus, Oh area. We raced mostly at Brown County Speedway and Glen Este Speedway in Cincinnati. I have a picture of me in one of the cars, this on is of the driver in the #73 Ford. Sometime early ‘70s.
9E26AC50-57B1-461B-A02B-AAFFC28ADED9.jpeg

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back