Trailblazer Brisket advice on the RT-340

I have the 590. I use Chris Lilly's Slow Smoked Beef Brisket recipe. I've tried so many recipes like all of us have. This one makes the most flavorful and tender brisket for my taste.

I have his book "Big Bob Gibson's BBQ Book" where I found the recipe. I've tried to find it online but it seems like the recipe has been modified.

Watch the edges. The brisket may be wider than the pan and can crisp some things up if the meat hangs over where the drip pan ends.

I have the 590. I use Chris Lilly's Slow Smoked Beef Brisket recipe. I've tried so many recipes like all of us have. This one makes the most flavorful and tender brisket for my taste.

I have his book "Big Bob Gibson's BBQ Book" where I found the recipe. I've tried to find it online but it seems like the recipe has been modified.
Does the brisket recipe in Chris Lilly's book have instructions for a pellet grill? I've had my RT-340 for about 8 months and have been very fortunate that my turkey's and Boston butts have all turned out well. My next adventure is brisket. I would like to give myself the absolute best chance of getting it somewhat right the first time. 😊

I have the 340 as well as a 1250. The one thing I do when traveling is to pick a smaller brisket. Keep it in the middle away from the sides. I use a modified method of smoke for 5-6 hours at 180. I then bump it to 225 to the end. "Usually" around 11 hours. I say usually because I've had them finish several hours quicker.
Good luck!

Howtobbqright.com click on the drop down menu, click smokers and grills, click on recipes by smokers, then click pellet smoker recipes. He has videos and step by step instructions. Definitely helps when starting off. I do mine low til 160 internal then wrap, crank up heat to 250 and pull around 202-205 internal and tender. Then let rest about an hr.

39D55CDA-7ABB-475F-8F78-84DEDAF4D633.jpeg

I just wanted to share an interesting story about my recent brisket cook. My 20 lb whole packer brisket went in at 10:00 at night and was completely cooked in 10 hours. Based on my past experiences, I expected easily 18 hours or at least several hours in the stall.

Well this was a first. No stall. I was counting on the stall to extend the length of the cook. But it went right through what should have been the stall.

Sorry no pictures. We had company and I was busy making pizzas also. But the brisket was very moist and the burnt ends delicious.

The moral of this story. Smoking isn't an exact science. Every cook and every piece of meat is different and the meat is done in "meat time" not our time 🙂

I have cooked many full size briskets on my 340, and have never had any issues. The only thing I do differently than any of the recipes I find, is drop my cooking temp about 20 degrees lower than they say. For some reason I always felt the 340 always runs a little hotter when the chamber is more full.

I just wanted to share an interesting story about my recent brisket cook. My 20 lb whole packer brisket went in at 10:00 at night and was completely cooked in 10 hours. Based on my past experiences, I expected easily 18 hours or at least several hours in the stall.

Well this was a first. No stall. I was counting on the stall to extend the length of the cook. But it went right through what should have been the stall.

Sorry no pictures. We had company and I was busy making pizzas also. But the brisket was very moist and the burnt ends delicious.

The moral of this story. Smoking isn't an exact science. Every cook and every piece of meat is different and the meat is done in "meat time" not our time 🙂
I have been doing briskets for over 10 years I did a brisket last weekend on my 340 and the same thing happened to me, no stall, I have never seen that before

I have found the 340 tends to cook faster
This! I find that my RT-340 consistently completes a brisket cook sooner than I think it will. And, I have also experienced the no-stall brisket cook. I have a feeling that it is attributable to the specific piece of meat. IME, a well-marbled brisket will have less—or, no—stall time vs. one that’s not. Not a scientific study; just an observation.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back