Bull Breaking in the Bull - Best Test Smokes

Kevepoo

Grill(s) owned
  1. Bull
Just got my Bull set up on the back deck, looking for some recommendations on test cooks/smokes to do to break it in and get it seasoned at bit. I also assume that I am going to need to do many test smokes to perfect my smokin' skills before I can do it with confidence and invite the crowds over to sample the meat! TIA

Just got my Bull set up on the back deck, looking for some recommendations on test cooks/smokes to do to break it in and get it seasoned at bit. I also assume that I am going to need to do many test smokes to perfect my smokin' skills before I can do it with confidence and invite the crowds over to sample the meat! TIA
Congrats, just got my Bull a few weeks back and I am new to smoking.
First cook was chic thighs and salmon, then pork chops, bacon, and sausage.
Bacon was unbelievable, cook a lot of bacon!!!

I like to suggest bacon for a cook after the burn-in. It's quick and inexpensive, and spreading it out over the cooking surface can point out hot spots. And you get bacon!

Chicken thighs are another popular first cook. For low & slow I'd suggest something like a pork butt (Boston butt) which is very forgiving - or ribs depending on your comfort level.

bacon is a great cook. so is 75/25 or 80/20 burgers at 350. the burgers will splatter fat all over the inside at that temp as it frys on the grease shield

Cat go wrong with chicken thighs or fatty cuts of pork. I did whole chickens for my first cook.

I was surprised at how well it seasoned up, of course I have been using it almost daily since I got it

I wouldn’t worry so much about seasoning the grill. As long as you use it several times in the first month (and I have no doubt you will) just plan a hot cook so you don’t have to wait for the grill to cook down. Chicken, bacon, fatty, pizza, hamburgers just about anything hot and you’ll have a great first cook. Enjoy it and don’t over think it, you are in for a treat.

My first cook was chicken thighs right after completing the 1hr 400 degree burn. That was followed by pork chops, the hamburgers, then ribs for Mother's Day.

Bacon... Do you mean curing and making bacon from a cut of pork? Or buying a package of bacon and cooking it on the grill? If the latter, please give me temps for that and do you use a pan, mesh or right on the grates? Thanks

i do bacon right on the grate. it will lay out perfectly flat and doesn’t shrink like in a pan when you cook it. i do my bacon at 275 for 60-90 min depending on how thick it is. it taste great

Bacon... Do you mean curing and making bacon from a cut of pork? Or buying a package of bacon and cooking it on the grill? If the latter, please give me temps for that and do you use a pan, mesh or right on the grates? Thanks
Right on the grates. The package probably has directions for cooking in the oven, just use that. Usually something like 400F for 20-25 minutes.

Congrats on your Bull
Yeah, I'd go with Chicken
We did 4 whole Chicken our first time out
Tried 4 different "Rubs" and found our favorite

Simply Awesome Chicken:
Whole Chicken2503.5 - 4.0 hoursB/160-165 T/170-175Butter w/ Garlic, Pepper, Salt Blend1/2 Apple or Onion in Cavity
Chicken.jpeg

Next was the Onion Bombs (from the RT Recipes):
Onion Bombs42545 mins155 - 160Recipe Makes 4 BombsSee RecTeq.com for Recipe
Onion Bombs.jpeg

Onion Bomb.jpeg

Anything will work. If you want to test some cheaper options...chicken for hotter/faster and pork butts for low and slow.

Congrats on your Bull
Yeah, I'd go with Chicken
We did 4 whole Chicken our first time out
Tried 4 different "Rubs" and found our favorite

Simply Awesome Chicken:
Whole Chicken2503.5 - 4.0 hoursB/160-165 T/170-175Butter w/ Garlic, Pepper, Salt Blend1/2 Apple or Onion in Cavity
View attachment 10259

Next was the Onion Bombs (from the RT Recipes):
Onion Bombs42545 mins155 - 160Recipe Makes 4 BombsSee RecTeq.com for Recipe
View attachment 10260
View attachment 10261

I have to try those onion bombs! They look amazing!

I have to try those onion bombs! They look amazing!
They taste even better than they look
Recipe: https://www.beef.recteq.com/bbq-onion-bombs
We kinda went our own way, and went with this Recipe:

INGREDIENTS for 4 Bombs:

2 sweet onions

1lb. ground beef

1/4 cup diced onions

1/4 cup chopped mushrooms

1 Handful of grated cheese blend

1 tbsp maple syrup

1 tsp soy sauce

1 tsp Worcestershire sauce

1 pack (min 12 slices) of bacon

KC Masterpiece for glaze

But the cook stayed pretty-much the same

They taste even better than they look
Recipe: https://www.beef.recteq.com/bbq-onion-bombs
We kinda went our own way, and went with this Recipe:

INGREDIENTS for 4 Bombs:

2 sweet onions

1lb. ground beef

1/4 cup diced onions

1/4 cup chopped mushrooms

1 Handful of grated cheese blend

1 tbsp maple syrup

1 tsp soy sauce

1 tsp Worcestershire sauce

1 pack (min 12 slices) of bacon

KC Masterpiece for glaze

But the cook stayed pretty-much the same

Awesome .. thanks for adding that detail! Now just need to do a little shopping. This will be the dinner :).

Well could not wait to try them.. was tonight’s dinner. Came out good but the bride forgot the soy sauce and Worcestershire sauce initially. We just douced them after assembly. Will def do again!! These pics were after 3 were already removed. Could not wait and did not get prep pics.

262F3AB5-FDA8-4BD9-9D70-33FB29D5162D.jpeg
77B6CD98-8A00-4859-A290-C9E0138120C4.jpeg

MMMMM, Vidalia Onions are just coming in!!!!

Will definitely put on the cook list next weekend!

My fam does not like chicken thighs which I will sneak in soon, but we cooked burgers and then ribs.
I agree, just cook in it and all OK.

I know I was stressed and over thought things, good advice and help here in the fourm! All of my cooks have been great!

Cook a brisket soon, it is not that hard! Check out links on the forum!

Question fellows... Which mats are ya'll using? I have been looking on Amazon and it seems everything I see has quite a few bad reviews about how they hold up. Or, maybe they just don't and you have to look at them as disposable? Just curious? I want to get some for fish and burgers.

I’ve purchased two types from Amazon, These and These. Both have worked well and are still in service, but at the same time I would consider them a disposable item. Especially if they are washed on a regular basis in the dishwasher.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MuddyBill
Back