Bread pudding

Smagnus

Grill(s) owned
  1. Bull
  2. Bullseye
so I cannot find the original recipe I used to make and havent made this in awhile. Can some kind soul please share a decent bread pudding recipe. My wife thanks you in advance

I haven`t had any since I had my grandmothers almost 50 years ago. It was really good.

Old-Fashioned Bread Pudding​

• Prep 15 min
  • Total 60 min
  • Servings 8

Ingredients
  • 2 cups milk
  • 1/4 cup butter
  • 2 eggs, slightly beaten
  • 1/2 cup sugar
  • 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon or nutmeg
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 6 cups soft bread cubes (about 6 slices bread)
  • 1/2 cup raisins, if desired
  • Whipping (heavy) cream, if desired

Steps​

• 1 Heat oven to 350°F. In 2-quart saucepan, heat milk and butter over medium heat until butter is melted and milk is hot.
  • 2 In large bowl, mix eggs, sugar, cinnamon and salt. Stir in bread cubes and raisins. Stir in milk mixture. Pour into ungreased 1 1/2-quart casserole.
  • 3 Bake uncovered 40 to 45 minutes or until knife inserted 1 inch from edge comes out clean. Serve warm with whipping cream.

Last edited:

• Prep 15 min
  • Total 60 min
  • Servings 8

Ingredients
  • 2 cups milk
  • 1/4 cup butter
  • 1/2 cup sugar
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt

Steps​

• 1 Heat oven to 350°F. In 2-quart saucepan, heat milk and butter over medium heat until butter is melted and milk is hot.
  • 2 In large bowl, mix eggs, sugar, cinnamon and salt. Stir in bread cubes and raisins. Stir in milk mixture. Pour into ungreased 1 1/2-quart casserole.
  • 3 Bake uncovered 40 to 45 minutes or until knife inserted 1 inch from edge comes out clean. Serve warm with whipping cream.
Thanks buddy, I’ll give it a run soon

• Prep 15 min
  • Total 60 min
  • Servings 8

Ingredients
  • 2 cups milk
  • 1/4 cup butter
  • 1/2 cup sugar
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt

Steps​

Excellent recipe. Here are some thoughts to consider with bread pudding recipes in general.

I’ve made a number of bread puddings and I’ve “established” a ratio of eggs to milk from all the different recipes I’ve tried. For bread pudding, I do an egg for every 1/2 cup of milk. I like that custard-like consistency and taste. For corn pudding and veggie pudding/pie (corn pudding, squash casserole, etc.), I use one egg for every 1/4 cup of milk. All I’m suggesting is try different egg CS milk ratios to find your preference.

I’ve never cooked bread pudding in a water bath but I’ve heard people do that sometimes.

My Mom (about 60 years ago) used to also put in a short can of drained crushed pineapple in her bread pudding. I think the recipe you posted matches what she used to make…and I have the fondest memories of.

Lastly, here in the SC Lowcountry, we don’t use whipped cream so much on bread pudding…we use a sauce…typically a bourbon or rum sauce. The simplest version of that would be melted butter and a few tablespoons of bourbon…melting the butter and burning off the alcohol. Then, whisk in a little (heavy) cream. Do all of that to taste.

Wherever I travel to, I always try the local bread pudding wherever I may find it. My favorite dessert. Sometimes it reminds me of Mom and sometimes it doesn’t. 😊

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CRG
Back