Brand new RT-590 received today - need to call the factory tomorrow (UPDATE: operator error)

Perhaps, but I vacuum out my grill out every other cook or so.

However, it still comes back to RT feeding pellets in at shutdown
For my Bullseye when I have done a higher temp cook or after a Riot mode to clean the grill, I turn the heat down to 275. After the temp is down to 275 I turn it off & raise the lid. After the cool down mode is complete & she shuts down I leave the lid up for a little while longer. Never have the after shutdown smoke. I also vacuum the fire pot BEFORE every use and prime the pot.

Last edited:
This is the only pellet grill I know that:

1) says to prime the fire pot, and
2) primes it when you shut it down.

Not sure if that option can be turned off. If the igniter stays hot for more than a few minutes, priming the pot doesn't do much unless the auger tube is emptied for clean out our something.

If there are already pellets in the auger tube, then pellets will be flowing into the firepot in from the start.

I have actually shut down the grill, and then had to go back out because it was smoking 10-15 minutes after it shut down. Why? Because the grill put more pellets into the firepot before the fire was completely out.

To me, this is a potential fire hazard and a terrible decision on RT's part.
I sometimes get some smoldering pellets after shutting down and it smokes for a while. Makes no sense to me why it was decided to dump pellets in a hot firepot at the end of the shutdown. Maybe in case there were a few smoldering pellets in the end of the auger tube, it dumps them out? A few times, I've had charred pellets in the auger tube when I went to vacuum the ashes out.
Makes more sense for the auger to dump a few pellets in the firepot at startup rather than shutdown, but what do I know :unsure:

Last edited:
If I am cooking at a high temp I always lower the temp back to 200 deg or 225 before I shut it down. In my mind this lets the pellets in the firepot burn down. This gives less chance of ignighting the new batch of pellets for the next cook. This has been working great for me.

If I am cooking at a high temp I always lower the temp back to 200 deg or 225 before I shut it down. In my mind this lets the pellets in the firepot burn down. This gives less chance of ignighting the new batch of pellets for the next cook. This has been working great for me.
I do the same.

Curious, how long does it take to go from say, 450 down to 225? Mine seems to take a while, like 30-45 minutes. I've even tried opening the lid for a short period to let some heat out, but it's slow to reduce the temp.

Curious, how long does it take to go from say, 450 down to 225? Mine seems to take a while, like 30-45 minutes. I've even tried opening the lid for a short period to let some heat out, but it's slow to reduce the temp.
15 -20 minutes or so. It seems leaving the lid open takes longer,. I dunno why.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back