Brake assembly problem

AbacoSue

Grill(s) owned
  1. Bull
  2. WyldSide
I have a brand new Wyldside (hooray) and am having trouble assembling the brake. The brake doesn’t stop the wheel from turning and drops everything right down. Any suggestions?

I have a brand new Wyldside (hooray) and am having trouble assembling the brake. The brake doesn’t stop the wheel from turning and drops everything right down. Any suggestions?
I feel like mine isn’t correct. Doesn’t stop grates from drifting down with a heavy load on it. Feels like something is backwards. Have a picture?

I feel like mine isn’t correct. Doesn’t stop grates from drifting down with a heavy load on it. Feels like something is backwards. Have a picture?
I expect you are turning the wheel clockwise to raise the grate (been there, done that). Turn the wheel counter-clockwise to raise, that allows the paw on the brake lever to engage the teeth on the brake gear.

When I received my Wyldside, the brake cog was welded on backwards (I kid you not) so it wouldn't stop the grate from lowering at all. I had to go over to the shop (I'm local to Recteq) to get a replacement. By the way, if like me you lose the little c-clamp thing that holds the cog onto the crossarm, they can be found at Lowe’s in the Hardware Section. They are Hillman #881388 Retaining Rings External 1/2 inch. They cost me about 80 cents for a bag of two.

Mine is assembled correctly, but just started spinning on the shaft. :( Meaning, the gear spins on the shaft.
Since everything was hot, I didn't spend a lot of time checking into how it was connected. I assumed it was keyed, or had a set screw. It it's welded, I'm surprised it could have broken from the weight of some jalapeno poppers.

Mine had the same problem. The key slot in the shaft was machined too deep on mine. They offered a replacement shaft but I ended up just making a spacer. Been fine like that for the past 6 months or so.

I remembered to contact RT yesterday, and already have a replacement assembly on the way. Customer service 2nd to none.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back