Boredom induced BBQ

Roaniecowpony

Lifetime Premium!
Premium Member
Grill(s) owned
  1. Bull
I am a BBQ addict.

If I have idle time, I will tend to bbq something. I can't help it.

Anyone else have this problem?

Today is boredom St. Lou ribs. Nothing fancy. Same ol rub, same ol blend of pellets. I didn't get them on until 2pm, so I am running them at 275F. I think I'll have em done by 6 or 7pm.
20211015_141818.jpg

Yes. I cook way to much on my cookers. I’ve moved away from just doing typical bbq items. Though a rack of ribs is cooking in my Weber kettle.

I am a BBQ addict.

If I have idle time, I will tend to bbq something. I can't help it.

Anyone else have this problem?

Today is boredom St. Lou ribs. Nothing fancy. Same ol rub, same ol blend of pellets. I didn't get them on until 2pm, so I am running them at 275F. I think I'll have em done by 6 or 7pm.

And that seems perfectly reasonable to me. No problem!!!

Idk if it's possible but I kinda burnt myself out this summer on BBQ. I do currently have a 10lb butt out on the WSM. But something I started experimenting with is deep frying. Think I'm gonna try a turkey this year

Idk if it's possible but I kinda burnt myself out this summer on BBQ. I do currently have a 10lb butt out on the WSM. But something I started experimenting with is deep frying. Think I'm gonna try a turkey this year
If planning on for Thanksgiving, I would do a practice run prior, (how much oil, oil temp, etc. ). Don't want any surprises.

Done. 2 racks sauced. One rack dry rubbed (for me). Finished in about 4 1/2 hours total at about 6:30 pm. They were tender with a slight tug, nice smoke, pretty much just right.

I brought out some for my nextdoor neighbor to try during our happy hour last night. I had talked him into a RT700 about a year ago. He liked them, but he and my wife liked the sauced over the dry rubbed.

20211015_184508.jpg

Yeah maybe. But I don't want to end up looking like a overcooked campfire marshmellow.
People have always told me that I look best in black 😆.

That being said, electric turkey fryers (specifically made for turkeys) seem to be the safest bet. And always make sure the bird completely thawed and patted dry before frying.

Yea that's the plan for next weekend. Like you said, I really don't want any surprises on Thanksgiving day lol
Best way to determine how much oil to use is to fill the pot with water and put your turkey in the pot, make sure the water is just over the top of the turkey. Pull the turkey out, measure the amount of water and then you know exactly how much oil to use. Easy Peasy and no one gets hurt in the process.
Another word of caution, don't ask me how I know this but make damn sure that the turkey is not frozen or have any water on it before you put it in the boiling pot of oil.
Enjoy the bird, we do a deep fried turkey and a smoked turkey every Thanksgiving.

Best way to determine how much oil to use is to fill the pot with water and put your turkey in the pot, make sure the water is just over the top of the turkey. Pull the turkey out, measure the amount of water and then you know exactly how much oil to use. Easy Peasy and no one gets hurt in the process.
Another word of caution, don't ask me how I know this but make damn sure that the turkey is not frozen or have any water on it before you put it in the boiling pot of oil.
Enjoy the bird, we do a deep fried turkey and a smoked turkey every Thanksgiving.
We're gonna do the same. Smoke one on a WSM and deep fry one

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back