Bonless prime rib roast...need some expert advice.

JohnDS

Grill(s) owned
  1. Bull
Hey guys. I've done brisket, pork shoulders, pork ribs, beef ribs, rib eye steaks, chicken wings/thighs/breasts/whole chickens, roast beefs, chuck roasts.

I have never attempted a rib roast. This baby is prime and about 2ft long, maybe 2.5ft long. I'm asked to cook this thing for Christmas dinner and I'm a little nervous about the timing and the rub or seasoning.

1) I have no idea what to season it with.
2) I have no idea how long this thing will take at 225.
3) I have no idea how to keep it hot after it's done, since the dinner is 15min away. Does the cooler trick work for a roast that's only being cooked until 125°F? I'm thinking after it's done, to reverse sear it in a 550°F oven before I leave to bring it and then put in cooler to keep hot. Or maybe when I get there do the 550 trick?

I need to get all this right. Please help. Right now it's frozen in the basement. I'm thinking 4-6hrs per pound to thaw in fridge? Correct?

Thanks.

I second that as a good source. Their times are realistic. You could certainly do the entire smoke and sear process, wrap in cooler and head over. I think the meat could hold for that trip and be good.

I've done a few bone-in ones on my RT700. Normally I just coat with canola oil and use basic SPOG for rub. Outcomes have been great.

I third Hey Grill Hey but would also add How to BBQ Right. Malcom has several prime rib recipes/cooks in his videos.

I’ve done several prime ribs in the 700 and have used traditional rubs with thyme and rosemary as well as just S&P. My Family loves beef cuts done with mainly S&P with a light to medium coating of Kosmo’s Dirty Bird.

I agree with @Beach Bum that you can hold the meat for the 15 minute trip. We usually let it rest for about 1/2 hour covered and resting.

Depending on what you are looking for you might want to consider cutting the roast into three smaller roasts. It doesn’t look as impressive on the table but you triple the number of end cuts. In our family those are highly sought after.

I have done a standing Rib Roast on my Weber Kettle grill over the past 5 Christmas' and it has turned out perfect. This year, I hope to use the RT700 this Christmas Eve but will roast it at 375. If you try 225, it will take a long while and honestly, I have no idea what that will look like unless you reverse sear it at the end.

Try "Meathead's" recipe: https://www.huffpost.com/entry/grilled-prime-rib-recipe_b_799877

I second that as a good source. Their times are realistic. You could certainly do the entire smoke and sear process, wrap in cooler and head over. I think the meat could hold for that trip and be good.

I've done a few bone-in ones on my RT700. Normally I just coat with canola oil and use basic SPOG for rub. Outcomes have been great.
I plan on doing that as well. What temp did you use and how large was the roast and your cook time?

Nice. I'm gonna check that site. I really appreciate it cause I'm panicking here. Thanks guys.
Totally understand. It is a large and pricey hunk of beef. It can be conquered and the result is pure meat coma joy.

I'm also doing a prime rib roast this year on my 1250. This obviously hasn't been a tested plan, but here's what I was thinking...

Simple SPOG rub, maybe with some crushed rosemary and thyme.
Probably 250 until I hit an internal temp of around 105 - 110 to get a kiss of smoke. Crank the heat up to maybe 425-450 for a reverse sear until 120 internal temperature. Wrap and rest for maybe 20 - 30 minutes.

In the oven I've gone back and forth on cutting the bones off then tieing them back on for the cook to protect the meat and still make serving easier. I have never cut the bones off before cooking, but that seems to be a popular approach. It might even get a little more seasoning on the bones and the bottom of the roast.

So I'm probably not the only one of us that likes Thermoworks products. Sort of a super simple smoked prime rib approach just showed up in my Inbox.

I have a 9lb bone in prime rib in the fridge dry aging as we speak. I plan on doing it on the 700 this year then searing it in the pizza oven instead of conventional oven. I haven’t decided on the rub yet

I have a 9lb bone in prime rib in the fridge dry aging as we speak. I plan on doing it on the 700 this year then searing it in the pizza oven instead of conventional oven. I haven’t decided on the rub yet
Congrats. Having a hard time finding a "full-sized" prime rib roast this year locally. I could only order a 4 bone one...at top dollar. It'll be my maiden voyage cooking a prime rib outside of the kitchen so I guess I won't get too worked up if I screw up a smaller piece. If I run out, kids will eat hot dogs.

Hey guys. I've done brisket, pork shoulders, pork ribs, beef ribs, rib eye steaks, chicken wings/thighs/breasts/whole chickens, roast beefs, chuck roasts.

I have never attempted a rib roast. This baby is prime and about 2ft long, maybe 2.5ft long. I'm asked to cook this thing for Christmas dinner and I'm a little nervous about the timing and the rub or seasoning.

1) I have no idea what to season it with.
2) I have no idea how long this thing will take at 225.
3) I have no idea how to keep it hot after it's done, since the dinner is 15min away. Does the cooler trick work for a roast that's only being cooked until 125°F? I'm thinking after it's done, to reverse sear it in a 550°F oven before I leave to bring it and then put in cooler to keep hot. Or maybe when I get there do the 550 trick?

I need to get all this right. Please help. Right now it's frozen in the basement. I'm thinking 4-6hrs per pound to thaw in fridge? Correct?

Thanks.
I don't think I would cook in on a smoker/grill. As a former chef who made prime ribs twice a week or more I would simply bake it in an oven at 225 for about 5-6 hours. I always removed from heat with a 115-120 internal temp. I let it rest for at least an hour. I would slice to order and heat to temp in a pot of aujus that would be hot but not boiling, this way you can cook to required temp, rare to well. As for rub/seasoning, I used to rub coarse ground fresh or bottled garlic, then sprinkle with thyme and kosher salt, keep in mind most this seasoning washes off on the reheat but it does add flavor. Serve with a shooter (SHot glass) of aujus on the side.

I don't think I would cook in on a smoker/grill. As a former chef who made prime ribs twice a week or more I would simply bake it in an oven at 225 for about 5-6 hours. I always removed from heat with a 115-120 internal temp. I let it rest for at least an hour. I would slice to order and heat to temp in a pot of aujus that would be hot but not boiling, this way you can cook to required temp, rare to well. As for rub/seasoning, I used to rub coarse ground fresh or bottled garlic, then sprinkle with thyme and kosher salt, keep in mind most this seasoning washes off on the reheat but it does add flavor. Serve with a shooter (SHot glass) of aujus on the side.
If you have not tried one on a grill/smoker...you must do so.

Here's what works for us:

MEATSMOKER TEMPSMOKING TIMEMEAT TEMPRUBS OR SAUCESMISC INFO
Prime Rib2754.5 - 5 hours135 - 140 (MR - M)1 tbs of Garlic, Pepper, Rosemary, Salt and Thyme in a cup of Butter per 8 lbsLet rest 0.5 -1 hour

We soften the Butter, mix the "Rubs or Sauce" Ingredients in, making it like a Frosting and "frost" the Roast(s)
Catherine's Birthday Prime Rib on the Bull.jpg

Catherine's Birthday Prime Ribs.jpg

Catherine's Birthday Prime Rib.jpg

She just "hates it" ;)

Depending on what you are looking for you might want to consider cutting the roast into three smaller roasts. It doesn’t look as impressive on the table but you triple the number of end cuts. In our family those are highly sought after.
A man after my own heart; end cuts are where its at! They are flavor-central on prime rib.

I agree. I’ve done them both ways and prefer the oven. Just olive oil with sea salt and use the No Peak method. I do 7 bone that are 26-28lbs every Thanksgiving and Christmas

I just did a 16 lb boneless prime rib I bought at Costco. I salted it and left in uncovered in the fridge for about 15 hours. Then I took it out, rubbed it with olive oil and put an herb seasoning on it (salt/pepper/garlic/rosemary/thyme/sage). I left it to come to room temperature for a couple of hours. I then put it on my smoker at 225˚. It was done in 5 hours, much before I expected it or wanted it. Watch your probes!
After googling around to figure out how to deal with it, I wrapped it in foil and put it in a cooler with a bunch of towels. When I took it out more than 2 hours later, it was still hot!
I then put it in a 500˚ oven for 20 minutes to get a sear on the outside, and then sliced it. It was wonderful!
I think leaving it stand after pulling it is a very good thing. I would not be concerned about your short drive to where you have to go. If you decide to do a sear and don't have the facilities where you are going, just do it at home and then wrap it in foil for your trip. And if you do have the facilities where you are going, do the sear there, then pull it and slice it.
How long will it take to thaw your prime? I have no idea. That's for someone else's expertise!
Good luck!

Attachments

• Prime Rib 2021 11-24.jpeg
    Prime Rib 2021 11-24.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 102
Looks great!

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WKMCD
Back