Black soot on meat...[Solved!]

Hey all, figured it out!!!

I live in a very warm climate zone (100+ degrees during summers). I knew that the fan was cycling on and off every 3-4 seconds. Each time the fan cycled off, it created a yellow flame which in turn caused a little bit of soot to lick up into the pit. Now recreate that scenario hundreds and hundreds of times within a 6-12 hour period. That is a lot of nasty soot that is created as you can see from my pics above.

I figured the internal temp didn't need much to keep the 250 degree temp given the outside temp was 100-105 degrees, therefore the fan was not constantly on...it was cycling on/off often trying to maintain temps.

I then remembered that there is an adjustable auger pellet feed rate that speeds up or slows down the rate of pellets, which in turn makes the fan work more or less to maintain internal temps.

My grill was factory set at 65 auger rate. I decided to try my luck and reduce it down to 35. Still 100 degrees outside. Turned on the rig, and started my test cook for the next 7 hours. The results?...success!!!
No more soot. Given the auger feed rate was low, it forced the fan to keep blowing to maintain temps of 250.
Fan no longer cycled off which was the culprit creating the soot!

I can cook again!!!

Attached are my new pics after the successful cook. No more black soot. Its golden brown as it should be.

Attachments

• 20201009_172421.jpg
    20201009_172421.jpg
    892.6 KB · Views: 101
  • 20201009_172445.jpg
    20201009_172445.jpg
    876 KB · Views: 101
Glad to see you got it resolved, I would have thought tech services at Rec Tec would have suggested this as one of the troubleshooting possibilities. I would not eat any food that had that black soot on it, no way that could be good for you. Happy cooking!

Hate to think I will have to adjust, set, readjust, reset the Auger speed several times during the year
Being in Northern Utah, our Temps ranges from below 0 to the low 100s
But I guess if it's a must, it must be done, to keep it running correctly
Thanks for the heads-up Max

I asked the recreq rep about having to reset the cooker during cold weather and he said it affects minimum rate only, so cold weather wont be affected. No need to readjust.
Outstanding, that's what I like to hear
Thanks for THAT info too

Hey all, figured it out!!!

I live in a very warm climate zone (100+ degrees during summers). I knew that the fan was cycling on and off every 3-4 seconds. Each time the fan cycled off, it created a yellow flame which in turn caused a little bit of soot to lick up into the pit. Now recreate that scenario hundreds and hundreds of times within a 6-12 hour period. That is a lot of nasty soot that is created as you can see from my pics above.

I figured the internal temp didn't need much to keep the 250 degree temp given the outside temp was 100-105 degrees, therefore the fan was not constantly on...it was cycling on/off often trying to maintain temps.

I then remembered that there is an adjustable auger pellet feed rate that speeds up or slows down the rate of pellets, which in turn makes the fan work more or less to maintain internal temps.

My grill was factory set at 65 auger rate. I decided to try my luck and reduce it down to 35. Still 100 degrees outside. Turned on the rig, and started my test cook for the next 7 hours. The results?...success!!!
No more soot. Given the auger feed rate was low, it forced the fan to keep blowing to maintain temps of 250.
Fan no longer cycled off which was the culprit creating the soot!

I can cook again!!!

Attached are my new pics after the successful cook. No more black soot. Its golden brown as it should be.
Great info! Glad I read this as I live in Sunny and Humid Florida and have a 700 on order.

A
Hate to think I will have to adjust, set, readjust, reset the Auger speed several times during the year
Being in Northern Utah, our Temps ranges from below 0 to the low 100s
But I guess if it's a must, it must be done, to keep it running correctly
Thanks for the heads-up
Great info! Glad I read this as I live in Sunny and Humid Florida and have a 700 on order.
Agree but this is no different than any other form of grilling. Pellet or gas or Weber or side grilling. Outside temps effect the fuel supplied.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back