Bull Big green egg owners

Question for BGE owners. I’m currently in the research phase and I am leaning heavily towards the 700. For those that came from a BGE, we’re you ok with the lack of smoke flavor as compared to the BGE? Not saying “how great thou art” about egg, but a lot of reviews talk about the amount of smoke flavor is not as strong as ceramic smokers.

Also, I live in the St Petersburg / Tampa area of Florida, and we have a lot of humidity and I live within 1 mile of the salt water. How does your 700 stand up to the elements? Should I cover when not in use?

Lastly - i cook on the Egg about 3 times a week - burgers, pork chops, chicken, Salmon etc . How does the 700 stack up to those? I know it can cook them, but the egg is not a big deal to me to get started, BUT, the convenience factor is weighing heavily on my mind.

For clarification, I am keeping the egg, the 700 would be in addition to…
I also live in the Tampa area, came from a large BGE and used it pretty regularly. SWMBO did not like the charcoal taste, so everything I made off the egg she was not a fan. Decided to give the 700 a try and since December I have not used my egg at all. It’s too easy to just flip on and have your temp ready within minutes. I still get smoke flavor at 225, and even with that smoke the wife is much happier.

As far as the elements I have the recteq cover, no issues whatsoever.

I have no problem getting a great smoky flavor on my 700. Here are my tips for better smoke:
1. Cook at 225 at least until the stall ends.
2. Use Bear Mountain pellets, which have a better smoke profile. I like hickory.
3. Rest a LONG time.
4. Vacuum seal leftovers and refrigerate or freeze. Reheat in the sealed packet in boiling water. This makes the flavor explode.

Question for BGE owners. I’m currently in the research phase and I am leaning heavily towards the 700. For those that came from a BGE, we’re you ok with the lack of smoke flavor as compared to the BGE? Not saying “how great thou art” about egg, but a lot of reviews talk about the amount of smoke flavor is not as strong as ceramic smokers.

Also, I live in the St Petersburg / Tampa area of Florida, and we have a lot of humidity and I live within 1 mile of the salt water. How does your 700 stand up to the elements? Should I cover when not in use?

Lastly - i cook on the Egg about 3 times a week - burgers, pork chops, chicken, Salmon etc . How does the 700 stack up to those? I know it can cook them, but the egg is not a big deal to me to get started, BUT, the convenience factor is weighing heavily on my mind.

I had a large BGE for over 10 years. I tried a Louisiana Pellet grill about 6 years ago and hated it. Very messy,hard to clean. I like the convenience of a pellet grill and after research bought the 700. It gives me all the smoke I need and is a dream to use and clean up. I cover the drip tray with a disposable Traeger foil and put a disposable small pan under the grill cooking area. Very easy to use and clean. My son has the BGE.

I have the BGE XL and recently the 590. I get a great smoke ring and flavor as long as I cook at low temps on the 590. I have smoked tri tips on the 590 and used the XL to reverse sear on the same cook. 590 good for low and slow smoked but not great for searing even with grill grates. The Egg can do both well but takes time to set up whereas with the 590 I can get dinner done on time with less hassle. Both have their place.

Wow! This has turned into a popular post. I agree with those who favor automated pellet smokers over ceramic for convenience. In fact, I ended up selling my ceramic smoker, (in my case it was the smaller Vision model), soon after setting up my Trailblazer. My outdoor kitchen now only contains an old Fire Magic gas grill, updated with Grill Grates and the Trailblazer. Once I learned how to use the RecTeq smoker, I found that the the ceramic egg-type was redundant and seldom used.

I live in Southern California and am blessed with a climate that makes outdoor living, (and cooking) a year-round thing. Today, I use the gas grill for things that can be cooked hot and fast, (burgers, chicken pieces, fish and steaks) while relying on the 340 for low and slow and, of course, pizzas. Adding the Grill Grates to both of my devices was a huge upgrade.

Being an "empty nester", I seldom cook large roasts such as the briskets that many in this forum love so much. On those rare occasions, I find that the diminutive Trailblazer is more than capable, while being so much easier to use than the ceramic smoker.

I know that there are now pellet fueled ceramic smokers out there. I have not personally tried one but to me, the computer-controlled accuracy and convenience would probably make a device like that worth considering.

If there is anyone in the thread who has experience with a pellet-fueled ceramic egg, I would certainly be interested in reading a review.

I have a Kamado Joe an RT-700 and a Bullseye. I rarely ever use the KJ anymore, but it is nice to fire it up for some thick steaks once a year when time permits. The Bullseye basically replaces the KJ for smoking at higher temps because I can toss wood chunks in it for the same smoke if not more than the KJ. The 700 is for overnight slow smokes. Nothing beats it for that. I never cook anything requiring high heat on the 700.

I have a Kamado Joe an RT-700 and a Bullseye. I rarely ever use the KJ anymore, but it is nice to fire it up for some thick steaks once a year when time permits. The Bullseye basically replaces the KJ for smoking at higher temps because I can toss wood chunks in it for the same smoke if not more than the KJ. The 700 is for overnight slow smokes. Nothing beats it for that. I never cook anything requiring high heat on the 700.
what do you mean when you say you toss in wood chunks?

what do you mean when you say you toss in wood chunks?
I place dry wood chunks (1 to 3) over the perforated holes of the deflector plate in the back area. They will begin to smoke when temp is at least 400° for a good five minutes. I do by the commercial bags of my favorite flavors at the big box stores. I also cut them down to smaller sizes using my band saw.

I'm in exact same scenario... A few years before the pandemic hit, I upgraded from a gasser to a Kamado Joe Classic. I love it, and have used it extensively. But have gotten the itch and looking at pellet grills for all the same reasons already mentioned. More space, set/forget, doing more outside entertaining after pandemic, etc.,...

For those that still have a kamado, I won't give up mine, just add to, outside of the difference in smoke flavor, the one thing that has kept me from clicking Submit is the searing question. Been looking at all the options to get around it, but am curious if it is a real issue or mostly just talk. If you're not searing with your kamados, the RecTeq is going good enough I presume?

I don't care about a perfect sear, and it seems like at 500+ degrees it would create enough of one.
Appreciate any thoughts!

I use BGE, 700, and Blackstone for different things each week. Happy with all.

So last week I did my first overnight cooks for a pork butt and brisket. The brisket ran at 200’all night without a problem. Ramped up the temp to 250 and wrapped in butcher paper at 165.
This was the best brisket I have ever cooked including all the cooks I did on my Egg. Pork Butt was equally good. Use Bear Mountain Bold pellets and you will get great smoke flavor.

We use all three regularly.

IMG_2847.JPG

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back