BFG ~Newbie in Augusta, GA (Home of the Rec Teq)

Radioactive

Premium Member!
Premium Member
Grill(s) owned
  1. BFG
I'm in Augusta, GA -- the actual home of RecTeq -- returning to grilling after a decade.
Heard a lot about these at work, so went to a couple of RecTeq Movie Nights and tasted smoked treats some by others. Hooked.
Buying our first house here imminently, and can finally have a grill with no restrictions whatsoever!

So, I went to the RecTeq showroom, and delivery of our new BFG will be a mere three days after we close!
Got most of the accessories coming with it too. I'm might need a few pavers...

I'll post my initial questions in the BFG thread, but wanted to say thanks to all the prior customers (and testers) who helped get these beauties to where they are today.

Bio: Nuclear, Flight, Automation, Parrots, Parrothead, Machining, Type I Diabetes... and after a decade grilling once again.

Q1: Next Grill: Meanwhile, wife says I'm limited to two grills. So what's #2 for charcoal?
  • Goldens' Cast Iron 20.5" (Kamado)
    or
  • Dyna-Glo DGN576DNC-D (a CR Recommendation)
Q2: Fire Extinguishers: Who keeps a Clean Agent (e.g. Halotron) extinguisher nearby for use? Or Baking Soda? Or something else?

Well, technically the home of recteq is Evans, GA but that is nit-picking! Congrats on the new home and the new BFG. If I were limited to two grills, the Bullseye would be a strong second contender. But if #2 were to be a charcoal grill, a PK grill would be my first choice. I’m looking to adding the new revision of the OG model this fall. It’s hard to go wrong with the classic Weber either.

As for fires, I keep a box of baking soda handy. My better half made a mistake on the Weber NG, which led to a nasty grease fire. Baking soda took care of it. Funny how doing six burners on max when you wanted min can screw things up.

Well, technically the home of recteq is Evans, GA but that is nit-picking!
Then I'll be even closer after we move... :D

a PK grill would be my first choice. I’m looking to adding the new revision of the OG model this fall.
As for the PK grill, I work with Aluminum a lot as it is, but not the biggest fan of using it to cook food. If hardcoat annodized -- then maybe. I'd put good money on it being annodized before even looking that closely though.

It’s hard to go wrong with the classic Weber either.
Very true... but the Kamado and Ranch ones tempt me too, for the sizing. But if I like Rectec as much and as often as I'm planning on it, maybe it just doesn't need to take up a ton of room like the Ranch would.

My most used yard cooker is a Bubba Keg, or now known as a Broil King Keg. It's 18" dia, double wall, metal, ceramic fiber insulated, and probably holds heat better than a BGE. I find it extremely versatile. It gets used for all steaks and chops, tritip, chicken. I can raise the charcoal basket to touch the grate or drop it down a foot and put a diffuser between the fire and the grate. I use a weed burner to get a fire ready to cook in 10 mins. or less.

If you need more capacity, but not a Ranch Kettle, look at the 26" Weber kettle or if you are inclined to spend some coin, the Weber G6 komado/kettle is nice. I ended up getting a 26" kettle and added a Slow n Sear.

I read some threads from Ranch kettle owners that indicated it takes quite a fire to heat up and is not worth doing for smaller cooks. So my enthusiasm for a Ranch faded.

Also, while I could live without a gas grill, it can be handy for some veggies or chicken wings. But mine doesn't get much use.

Last edited:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back