Best way to clean out/change pellets

When I took the safety grid off my Bullseye I just put the screws back in in case I ever needed/wanted to replace the grid.

When I took the safety grid off my Bullseye I just put the screws back in in case I ever needed/wanted to replace the grid.
I also put the screws back in, then I set the grid back in. I find it a nice place to set my Signals to keep it dry if it’s raining.

When you remove the OSHA grid over the hopper, it might be a good idea to seal the screw holes with some gasket seal or something similar.
I simply put the screws back in the holes, this way it sealed the holes and I have them in case I ever want to put the safety grid back in, say for resale :unsure:

What kind of pellets did you find that you are happy with all the time?
I am not the one you asked, but I likewise use only one pellet--Bear Mountain hickory. I found them by accident when I ran out of LJ hickory during a cook. The closest source of LJ is 35 miles away, and Bear Mountain was all that the local store had available. I reluctantly bought them; but, man, was I surprised at the nice smoky flavor--much better than LJ. That is all I use now.

I use a Stanley small shop vac on my previous pellet smoker. It had a pellet dump but always made a mess. Vac uses the small hose that fit through the grate holes. Don't have my 590 yet so we'll see how that works out. I usually stick with 1 pellet- Bear Mountain, I don't see that much flavor difference like you get with a stick burner.

I like to swap between blend of pellets with charcoal pellets mixed in for some cooks and pure wood for others.
I grab a 2 cup Pyrex measuring cup, a 1 cop stainless or plastic, and a 1/4 cup stainless or plastic measuring cup. Start with the biggest cup and work down to the smallest. The smallest gets everything down to the auger. I don’t bother to try to get past that because most of them will burn up in the warming period and any left after that will be negligible on the final flavor profile

For storage, i have 2 of these.
One marked “C” for the charcoal blend, one marked “W” for pure wood pellets

C32AF4CE-314E-4359-A333-E4D47F15030D.jpeg

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Latest posts

Back