best smoke tube

chadinsc

Grill(s) owned
  1. Bull
I have some questions about smoke tubes. i see alot of brands shapes and sizes even seen the mazes. my local lowes even has one that’s variable size. do i need a small one for shorter smokes? or is a big one fine half full? also do you guys find that they produce a good tasting smoke? or is it more of a (dirty) smoke? i would like to use them for cheese for cold smoke and for pork butts for a more intense smoke aswell as try them for higher heat grilling to add a touch of smoke to burgers and such possibly. so what seems to be the best? thanks guys

I wouldn’t overthink it. I have a 12” oval and a 12” hex, both work equally well. For shorter cooks or smokes, I don’t fill the tube entirely, and since i use a torch to light it I can do so through the holes in the side. No dirty smoke smell at all-I get a pleasant smoke and using cherry, a nice red color to the meat.

I may need one of these for cold smoking. Would this work for smoked cheese instead of the smoke box accessory for the Bull?
yes. some people use the tubes with the grills fan turned on using the test mode to circulate the air/smoke. pretty smart. i really want to try smoked cheese for a pizza

I may need one of these for cold smoking. Would this work for smoked cheese instead of the smoke box accessory for the Bull?
Even with the smoke box, the chamber gets too hot to smoke cheese running the grill. Just use the tube.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back