Bullseye Best Grate for Bullseye?

zueth

Grill(s) owned
  1. Bull
I have some grill grates that I used on my Webber that it on the bullseye, but I really don't like dealing with grill grates all the time.

Has anybody found a grate that fits bullseye and does a great job?

Would like to get rid of the grate that came with bullseye and not use grill grates.

Thanks.

I like the grill grates and move from Weber to Bullseye as needed. There's a bunch that loves the cast iron grates (not a fan) and the stainless group.

I'm sorry that I didn't answer your question but it's trial and error as well as personal preference.

A lot of people like the cast iron grates, but like @Chris_G , I’m not a fan either. My reasons include they are harder to clean (those honeycomb or diamond grids may look nice on a steak, but they are a crud magnet), they take longer to heat up than other grates, including GrillGrates, they can rust, and they are heavy. Plus the GrillGrates can be flipped over to the flat side and used as a griddle for most foods. I keep mine on the Bullseye’s shelf when not in use.

I have GrillGrates for my Bullseye, they are just so easy to use. They also keep the Bullseye cleaner! Plus I dont have to crank my Bullseye up so hot with them.

I'm a happy member of the cast iron crowd using the X Home 8835 grates off Amazon. Haven't done anything special to season them beyond cooking on them, and zero rust despite it being yet another absurdly wet and humid spring in the Ozarks. And I've found them easier to keep clean than the stock grates using a Char-Broil nylon grill brush as their weight holds them in place rather than spinning around.

What are the pro's and con's of the stainless grates like this one : https://www.bigpoppasmokers.com/beefy-stainless-steel-grill-grate

Over a cast iron like this one: https://www.cast-iron-grate.com/22-5-cast-iron-grate.html
I have the SS grate listed, and it’s a very nice grate. I bought it when the stock grate warped and GrillGrates would wobble on it. The price fluctuates a lot-I paid $40 for mine last fall.

The pros over a cast iron grate is the cast iron weighs over 10# more and the SS grate is much easer to clean, and will not rust.

I got GrillGrate and the Malory M1 cast iron grate. The cast iron is on full time, excellent quality and pretty easy to clean. Still use the grillGrate for that flat sear

I also have the aura cast iron grate and grillgrates along with the stock grate from ReqTeq. I do use all 3.

I've learned to only run the cast iron at 500 or less b/c if you go too long on riot mode, it burns off all the oil and makes it a huge hassle to re-season which I had to do.

The grillgrates I use mostly on the flat side for sears. I've used it for burgers which works great but not much different than 500 with the cast iron. It is different but not huge.

I will say if you want easy maintenance, get the SS grates as they are durable and easy to clean and will give good sear marks. Just not as good as grillgrates or cast iron but way easier to maintain.

I do also have the griddle for my Bullseye which I love. Makes me want to eventually get a blackstone or something like that but it works very nice on the Bullseye and can make some amazing smash burgers.

I do also have the griddle for my Bullseye which I love. Makes me want to eventually get a blackstone or something like that but it works very nice on the Bullseye and can make some amazing smash burgers.

This is a bit off topic but I will throw it out there.

We are on our second Blackstone. We first bought a 17" for camping. We liked it but there were two problems. First off doing bigger cooks means you either cook one thing at a time or cook for one person at a time. You have space for a pound of bacon or hashbrowns or eggs. Not everything at once. The other is that it is a single burner like the griddle on the Bullseye. It is really nice to have multiple heat zones. We got a 36" 4 burner BS and that fixed those issues. I converted it to hook right into the LP port on the camper. We bring it with whenever we go out or use it off a tank here at home. Once I started cooking on that I retired and then sold the LP Grill. Though did buy a RT-700.

I have a feeling they might make a good pair.

I also have the aura cast iron grate and grillgrates along with the stock grate from ReqTeq. I do use all 3.

I've learned to only run the cast iron at 500 or less b/c if you go too long on riot mode, it burns off all the oil and makes it a huge hassle to re-season which I had to do.

The grillgrates I use mostly on the flat side for sears. I've used it for burgers which works great but not much different than 500 with the cast iron. It is different but not huge.

I will say if you want easy maintenance, get the SS grates as they are durable and easy to clean and will give good sear marks. Just not as good as grillgrates or cast iron but way easier to maintain.

I do have the Aura as well. I've not seen the oil burn off issue and run mine in riot maybe 2/3 the time.

I do have the Aura as well. I've not seen the oil burn off issue and run mine in riot maybe 2/3 the time.
Hmmmm, do you ever do burn offs after a cook. Thinking back, I think that is when it happened. And it wasn't like the whole thing, it was mostly on the outside edges.

Hmmmm, do you ever do burn offs after a cook. Thinking back, I think that is when it happened. And it wasn't like the whole thing, it was mostly on the outside edges.

Nope. I just fire it up to riot. When it's hot like 400 to 500 I hit it with grill brush and then get my food ready to toss on.

Yeah, that's probably the difference. I left mine on riot (749 or more - I have one of the original controllers that doesn't show past 749) for awhile without any meat on.

I ended up purchasing the SS grill grate from BPS and have been very happy with it so far, very sturdy.
That's my next purchase.

im thinking about getting a bullseye hopefully this weekend. is the grill grate still the forum favorite? if so i will pick them up while im there. thansk

im thinking about getting a bullseye hopefully this weekend. is the grill grate still the forum favorite? if so i will pick them up while im there. thansk
I'm a fan of Grill Grates to prevent fires. I have the cast iron grate, I'd suggest a stainless grate.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back