Best Effort Brisket

Everyone had their go to brisket recipe.
For me I smoke at 265 degrees, no wrap and the final product is done in about 8-10 hours.
Never used to use injections but for briskets I use 1/3 cup Kosmos Smoke House Reserve blend brisket injection mixed with 2 cups of water.

Rub the brisket with mustard and pickle juice and then hit with my Texas rub seasoning.

15 lb brisket going in the smoker in the morning.
Best Greg

Looks like Woodlands hunt club. That is why I asked if you were training. Are you on SCHoutdoors.com forum?
Yes, Mendel's place. My dog hadn't seen a chukar or any other game bird since before the pandemic. I had not known about that forum.

Yes, Mendel's place. My dog hadn't seen a chukar or any other game bird since before the pandemic. I had not known about that forum.
Small world...

From San Diego as well. Nice job on the brisket. Check out the forum when you have time.

My Diesel on point. Quail in the desert...

Diesel on point.jpg

I'm up in Torrance. I'm lucky, I have a 135 acre unimproved "park" a right behind my house, which we walk a few miles a day. Lots of wildlife, rabbits, dove, plovers, raptors, coyotes, but no quail. Thought about planting some quail, but they'd probably not make it with all the raptors (redtails, red shoulders, coopers, kestrals). It's big enough I could find a place to put out some pigeon launchers and use a couple 2x4s for clap boards, to do flyaways for steadying. But he's 10 years old now and is a good retriever/finder. I just don't have the desire to pressure him at his age.

I'm up in Torrance. I'm lucky, I have a 135 acre unimproved "park" a right behind my house, which we walk a few miles a day. Lots of wildlife, rabbits, dove, plovers, raptors, coyotes, but no quail. Thought about planting some quail, but they'd probably not make it with all the raptors (redtails, red shoulders, coopers, kestrals). It's big enough I could find a place to put out some pigeon launchers and use a couple 2x4s for clap boards, to do flyaways for steadying. But he's 10 years old now and is a good retriever/finder. I just don't have the desire to pressure him at his age.
Puppy certainly deserves to be spoiled!

I pulled it out of the oven (shut off at 2am) at 9:00 am and cut it in half. Best moisture I've had in a prime brisket from Costco. I didn't do the squeeze that every youtuber does, cause that seems to be cheating to me. It just pushes the rendered fat out of the layer between the flat and point, not really out of the flat meat itself.

It's definitely the best moisture brisket I've done to date. It has a nice deep and defined smoke ring, but we all know that's not indicative of how much smoke flavor is in the meat. For those that prefer a heavy smoke, I didn't get there with this effort as I didn't even put a smoke tube in the pit. It's a very pleasant light smokiness and absolutely no bitterness, even laying the bark on your tongue.

The flavor of the commercial brisket injection isn't really discernable to me. I think the smooth moistness is coming from the wagyu tallow.

If I were to change anything, I think I'd add my go-to au jus ingredients into the commercial injection (beef stock, Dales Steak Seasoning, my rub, Franks Hot Sauce). I would definitely keep the wagyu tallow injection.

If anyone wants to try the wagyu tallow injection, my experience was that I had to heat it before injecting, to liquify it.

I'm very pleased with the results of this experiment. On the fence about the commercial injection.
20220320_090011.jpg
20220320_090240.jpg
20220320_090849.jpg

I pulled it out of the oven (shut off at 2am) at 9:00 am and cut it in half. Best moisture I've had in a prime brisket from Costco. I didn't do the squeeze that every youtuber does, cause that seems to be cheating to me. It just pushes the rendered fat out of the layer between the flat and point, not really out of the flat meat itself.

It's definitely the best moisture brisket I've done to date. It has a nice deep and defined smoke ring, but we all know that's not indicative of how much smoke flavor is in the meat. For those that prefer a heavy smoke, I didn't get there with this effort as I didn't even put a smoke tube in the pit. It's a very pleasant light smokiness and absolutely no bitterness, even laying the bark on your tongue.

The flavor of the commercial brisket injection isn't really discernable to me. I think the smooth moistness is coming from the wagyu tallow.

If I were to change anything, I think I'd add my go-to au jus ingredients into the commercial injection (beef stock, Dales Steak Seasoning, my rub, Franks Hot Sauce). I would definitely keep the wagyu tallow injection.

If anyone wants to try the wagyu tallow injection, my experience was that I had to heat it before injecting, to liquify it.

I'm very pleased with the results of this experiment. On the fence about the commercial injection.View attachment 15402View attachment 15403View attachment 15404
I tried that injection once, odd flavor. Not bad just something different.

I tried that injection once, odd flavor. Not bad just something different.
I really didnt pick up any flavor from it, but I may not be all that great at tasting at my age.

I would go to my au jus as an injection. It's more or less something I picked up from a recipe some bbq champion published years ago, although I've changed most of the ingredients and portions. I remember posting what I did on a bbq forum and apparently one of the friends of my source warned me about copyright law and how the source would be unhappy with me posting it on a forum.

I looked into recipe copyright. They are uniquely excluded from copyright protection. Not that I use his recipe as it was published. Something to file away in memory.

My first wife says this is the best brisket I've ever done.

Well, since sdynak must have missed his flight and was a no-show, I had to freeze most of the brisket. I did 1/2" thick slices so they'd stay together. I made single and 2 serving size packs and poured in all of the drippings.

The trim I did on the point made some great burnt ends.

Then I made a chopped brisket sandwich with point and flat.
20220320_135945.jpg
20220320_132913.jpg
20220320_145530.jpg

My first wife says this is the best brisket I've ever done.

Well, since sdynak must have missed his flight and was a no-show, I had to freeze most of the brisket. I did 1/2" thick slices so they'd stay together. I made single and 2 serving size packs and poured in all of the drippings.

The trim I did on the point made some great burnt ends.

Then I made a chopped brisket sandwich with point and flat. View attachment 15405View attachment 15407View attachment 15408
Good looking sandwich, but why didn’t you make one for yourself too? In fact, I could eat a whole sandwich rather than just that half. ;)

Has anyone tried mixed the tallow with the Butchers BBQ injection mixture and tried that on the flat?
Best Greg

Has anyone tried mixed the tallow with the Butchers BBQ injection mixture and tried that on the flat?
Best Greg
I'd suggest only tallow, IMHO

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Latest posts

Back