Best Effort Brisket

Roaniecowpony

Lifetime Premium!
Premium Member
Grill(s) owned
  1. Bull
I'm not very experienced in brisket, having done only a couple dozen or less. But I've put in some effort to learn as much as I can over the years, including taking Harry Soo's class. I picked up a 19 lb prime packer at Costco for a decent price and either had to freeze it or cook it. Today was the day.

I decided I'd do some of the tips learned from Harry and from Guga (Sous Vide Everything youtuber).

I did what I'd call an heavy home trim or very conservative (Harry) competition trim. Basically, it exposes more point meat at the expense of some flat meat. Don't worry, the trimmings aren't going to waste. I'm cooking them up for my English pointer.

Then, I used a commercial flavor enhancing (broth type) injection(Harry), followed by an injection of wagyu tallow in the flat (Guga).
The injection of wagyu tallow is a first for me. I've injected my own broth mixture before.

It went on at LO/180F using a blend of LJ Mesquite and Rectec Ult Blend (oak, hickory). The plan is 2 hours at LO, then ramp it up to 275F until the bark sets and I will wrap it in foil or a tray.
20220319_101125.jpg
20220319_103523.jpg
20220319_103957.jpg

Over the years I've discovered that you don't want to run as hot in a smaller pellet smoker than what you see the pros running on their larger offsets. 275deg on a larger offset is okay because the airflow is better. On these smaller chambers though it tends to dry out the meat more than a lower temp would. 225deg the entire time is about the sweet spot IMHO. I've finished at 250deg when I had to and it works but isn't ideal. I would just settle in for a nice long smoke and keep 'er at 225deg. That's what my notes say anyway.

Good luck. I do mine overnight at 180 using LJ 100% mesquite and still don't get the smoke flavor I like. I have to do 8 to 10 hours on a stick smoker first and then move to the RT to get it the way I and my taste testers like it.
What is your rub situation? I've found that, on pellet smokers, less is more when it comes to rub. The only reason I can ascertain is that if you less less rub it exposes more of the meat surface which allows it to absorb more of the smoke flavor. To that end, I use a real simple rub of just salt & pepper but I also use more coarse ground version of both so that you get the flavor w/o smothering the surface... if that makes sense. I also prefer my meat to have more of the show with the smoke just adding a flavor profile and complimenting the meat so that may be why I'm fine with it. Years of eating crappy que that others created using gross amounts of smoke will do that I guess.

Good luck. I do mine overnight at 180 using LJ 100% mesquite and still don't get the smoke flavor I like. I have to do 8 to 10 hours on a stick smoker first and then move to the RT to get it the way I and my taste testers like it.
I've grown away from my taste for heavy smoked meats as I've had my pellet grill for a couple years now and sold the offset. A sleepless night and a "smoke hangover", and a day or two of sinus congestion, is just no longer worth it to me. I can recall having so much smoke in my sinuses that I couldn't taste much of anything for a couple days. I'm liking the lighter smoke that's always smooth, not dominating the meat flavors. This is what makes doing your own bbq great. You can have it your way. No right or wrong in cooking how you like it.

I still have a komado and a 26" Kettle with a Slow N Sear, as well as a gasser.

Last edited:
I'm not very experienced in brisket, having done only a couple dozen or less. But I've put in some effort to learn as much as I can over the years, including taking Harry Soo's class. I picked up a 19 lb prime packer at Costco for a decent price and either had to freeze it or cook it. Today was the day.

I decided I'd do some of the tips learned from Harry and from Guga (Sous Vide Everything youtuber).

I did what I'd call an heavy home trim or very conservative (Harry) competition trim. Basically, it exposes more point meat at the expense of some flat meat. Don't worry, the trimmings aren't going to waste. I'm cooking them up for my English pointer.

Then, I used a commercial flavor enhancing (broth type) injection(Harry), followed by an injection of wagyu tallow in the flat (Guga).
The injection of wagyu tallow is a first for me. I've injected my own broth mixture before.

It went on at LO/180F using a blend of LJ Mesquite and Rectec Ult Blend (oak, hickory). The plan is 2 hours at LO, then ramp it up to 275F until the bark sets and I will wrap it in foil or a tray.
View attachment 15375View attachment 15376View attachment 15377
What time did you start it?

I've grown away from my taste for heavy smoked meats as I've had my pellet grill for a couple years now and sold the offset. A sleepless night and a "smoke hangover", and a day or two of sinus congestion, is just no longer worth it to me. I can recall having so much smoke in my sinuses that I couldn't taste much of anything for a couple days. I'm liking the lighter smoke that's always smooth, not dominating the meat flavors. This is what makes doing your own bbq great. You can have it your way. No right or wrong in cooking how you like it.

I still have a komado and a 26" Kettle with a Slow N Sear, as well as a gasser.
I agree, everyone cooks it different and likes it different. Personally I don't do all that trimming you did. I just cut off the hard pieces that won't render and leave all the other fat.
As I've noted in other threads, I always cook a lot of extras and take it to my coworkers on Mondays. Without me even telling them, they all noted when I switched over to the pellet grill. They all said it didn't have that great smoke flavor and I needed to go back to smoking it the way I used to.
I just watched a video of the guy that his bbq joint was just voted No. 1 in Texas and he didn't trim any fat off his beef ribs. Every other bbq guru I've watched has said to cut it all off the top. Just shows you have to do a lot of experimentation and find what you like best. Unfortunately there are just too many combinations to do them all.

@Roaniecowpony gave me the idea after his post about going. I got signed up right away. So did one of my neighbors and smoking buddies. We're taking the class together.
Very cool. When is it? You do realize we'll need a full debrief once you get home, right?

I live very close to Meat Church, and am thinking about taking one of his - if nothing else, just to hang with him for a day. Seems like a pretty good guy.

Looks like we may get some rain tonight. I have a special dinner engagement at Kantaro Omakaze at 6pm. So I'm going to wrap and transfer it to the oven around 5:30. We should be back by 9.

She's starting to color pretty well in the 6th hour.
20220319_154657.jpg

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WKMCD
Back