Best Brisket Knife

spartyonjoe

Grill(s) owned
  1. Bull
Anyone have any good recommendations for a slicing brisket knife? My standard chef knives don’t seem to work well for me.

Why? If it’s a good product and will give you years of service why send it back?

Good question.

Well, I want to decrease my spending of products made in China due to the politics of their government. I know I will never eliminate all my spending of Chinese products. But I can certainly make choices. It's voting with my wallet. I can afford to pay more for a product not made there, so I will, when I become aware I have a practical choice. Maybe it'll help keep them from taking over our country if more people made choices.

Good question.

Well, I want to decrease my spending of products made in China due to the politics of their government. I know I will never eliminate all my spending of Chinese products. But I can certainly make choices. It's voting with my wallet. I can afford to pay more for a product not made there, so I will, when I become aware I have a practical choice. Maybe it'll help keep them from taking over our country if more people made choices.
I am sure I’m like most people. I for one haven’t looked at it that way.
I completely agree with you. I can/will start making better educated decisions on what I bye that is made outside of the United States 🇺🇸

Back to the OP's question.

I ordered this Warther Brisket slicer. It's U.S. made of U.S. produced S35VN, which is a very high quality tool steel, and holds an edge much better than the current Victorinox slicer I have. Again, I think the Victorinox slicer is a very good choice for a budget knife and it has an ideal profile.

warther brisket knife.jpg

A lot of changes can be affected by money. Most people are just to complacent to do anything about it. One of my biggest gripes is how big businesses like Walmart and Home Depot are slowing trying to condition the public to increase their revenue. They have been doing this buy putting in the Self Check-out registers, like they are doing YOU a favor, when in fact it is saving them employee expense (like ATM machines with banks, but charge you a fee). I will use self check when they start giving me a discount or put me on the payroll. But they are conditioning you to use them (for their benefit, not yours) by slowly decreasing the number of checker so you have to wait in line longer. They are even building stores with NO checkers. We can stop this! I went to a Walmart the other day and had a basket full of food (some needing freezing and refrigeration), but when I got to front to check-out there were no checkers, NONE, not even a register station, only Self Checkout. I left my basket and walked out. I promise you it cost Walmart more money to restock that basket, plus the products lost to non-refrigeration, than what they would have spent on an employee to check me out. I'm just one person but if everyone did this they would be forced return to checkers.

Last edited:
I'll be honest, but this is just my opinion, I've followed the Dalstrong knives and the Kessaku knives and I believe they are both made in the same factory (and it isn't in Japan). They look identical, they even offer the same two steel options, the handles vary between series but on the top end series they are the same. The only difference I see is with the logos (which are actually pretty close) and the name on the blade. The packaging even mimics one another. Dalstrong proudly states they are made in China with Japanese or German steel, while Kessaku says the same about the steel but in a way that eludes to them being made in Japan. They never state where they are made. Dalstrong just has better marketing by putting their knives in the hands of chiefs and BBQ competition champs using challenges and other perks. And it works! Kessaku knives are cheaper than Dalstrong, but again I believe they have the same manufacture so why are they cheaper?

Do you know if Dalstrong ever has a sale on their knifes? I'm assuming Black Friday but wondering if they do at any other times. They have some father's day stuff right now but it is all bundles and it doesn't save much.

Do you know if Dalstrong ever has a sale on their knifes? I'm assuming Black Friday but wondering if they do at any other times. They have some father's day stuff right now but it is all bundles and it doesn't save much.

Don't know about the Dalsrong sales, but you should look at the Kessaku Dynasty Damascus 12" slicer, if you were looking at buying the Dalstrong Shogun 12" slicer. I believe they are one and the same. Both made in China. Both 67 layers, both AUS 10 steel.(67 is an extremely unusual number for folding damascus, which usually is even numbers) The profile and handles are the same. Even the packaging is the same. Dalstrong $129, Kessaku $79, both on amazon.

https://www.amazon.com/Kessaku-12-Inch-Carving-Slicing-Knife/dp/B08YP8P976

Last edited:
Don't know about the Dalsrong sales, but you should look at the Kessaku Dynasty Damascus 12" slicer, if you were looking at buying the Dalstrong Shogun 12" slicer. I believe they are one and the same. Both made in China. Both 67 layers, both AUS 10 steel.(67 is an extremely unusual number for folding damascus, which usually is even numbers) The profile and handles are the same. Even the packaging is the same. Dalstrong $129, Kessaku $79, both on amazon.

https://www.amazon.com/Kessaku-12-Inch-Carving-Slicing-Knife/dp/B08YP8P976
Neither of these two manufacturers are true Damascus. They are both etched... just for looks.

Neither of these two manufacturers are true Damascus. They are both etched... just for looks.
That's further disappointing.

I've been searching the web for custom makers. I think I'll be happy with the Warther S35VN steel slicer, which really isn't a "custom" maker, but rather a small family owned boutique type company.

I ordered this Warther Brisket slicer. It's U.S. made of U.S. produced S35VN, which is a very high quality tool steel, and holds an edge much better than the current Victorinox slicer I have. Again, I think the Victorinox slicer is a very good choice for a budget knife and it has an ideal profile.

View attachment 10977
S35VN is amazing steel for edge retention. I have several pocket knives made with it. But I wouldn't want to sharpen a 12" blade made from it. I could do it if I had to, but I'd hate it. And I wouldn't recommend a novice knife sharpener even attempt it.

S35VN is amazing steel for edge retention. I have several pocket knives made with it. But I wouldn't want to sharpen a 12" blade made from it. I could do it if I had to, but I'd hate it. And I wouldn't recommend a novice knife sharpener even attempt it.

I was looking for a brisket knife in one of the "super steels" which are more often found in pocket knives. I'm familiar with their difficult reputation for sharpening. But it should be a great slicer. I'll see pretty soon. But yeah, putting an edge on some of these steels can be work.

Part of the reason I want another brisket slicer is that my wife insists on using my Victorinox slicer to cut her cakes, brownies, lemon bars, etc., right on the pyrex pans. I pull it out to slice meat and it's dull or rolled over. So, I'll sacrifice my Victorinox to her, so I can eat cake and the new brisket slicer will get locked in my gun safe 👮‍♂️. My wife thinks her knives are inherently sharp forever.

I sharpen on 10"x4" diamond steel laps in 325 (coarse), 600 (fine), and 1200 (extra fine), and a leather strop with 3500 grit diamond paste. Diamond laps cut very fast and don't wear into a belly and don't need to be dressed flat like a wetstone.

I have a bunch of slicing knives but the one knife I love to use the most for slicing brisket or big slabs of meat without bones is this badass Kohetsu Blue #2 Kiritsuke. it's only 8.5" long but it does the trick, like a laser.

kohetsu-blue-2-nashiji-bunka-210mm-101.jpg

The $20 Tojiro bread knife works really good too.

tojiro-bread-knife-3.jpg

That is very nice steel. 61HRC I bet it cuts through like buttah...

Just saw this older thread on brisket knives pop up again and thought I'd add my two cents worth. Regardless of what knife you choose, it has to be SHARP...REALLY SHARP...to do a decent job of slicing brisket properly. And, regardless of the quality of the steel, if it isn't sharpened properly, it won't cut worth a hoot.

If you can "master" only one kitchen skill, it should be that of properly sharpening a knife! You can get by with good, fair or sometimes even mediocre kitchen skills in other areas. but becoming a master in knife sharpening is the key to great cooking IMHO.

I'm all in on not buying Chinese-made products when possible (obviously, the RT-340 was an exception that crept through the door) just to do my part in keeping my dollars from being converted to the Yuan. I just don't like the way China does business. So, I don't have or use Chinese-made knives.

I like my brisket knives BIG, so I went with a 14" Wusthof Gourmet Brisket Knife made in Solingen, Germany. It is a "stamped" knife and I wish Wusthof made a 14" brisket slicer in their forged Classic line (the original Wusthof line), but they don't. Still, when properly sharpened and honed, it is plenty sharp.

Over the years, I have standardized my kitchen cutlery on Wusthof's Classic line and have been well-pleased with them. They are wicked sharp when properly sharpened and honed, and hold an edge with the best of then. They are NEVER used on anything but a wooden cutting board (preferably bamboo). Everyone in my family understands that! We have some general kitchen knives that can be abused at will, but not MY Wustofs!

And, I am the only one allowed to sharpen and hone these tools. They are kept in a "wicked sharp" state at all times; stored in a Wusthof wood knife block. Yes, I am pretty particular about my kitchen cutlery! :rolleyes:

Last edited:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back