Beer Can Chicken Myth?

Here's my thoughts on why the beer can whole chicken is better than most. First I don't think it's the beer in the can either as others have said drink the beer put water back in it's place works just as good. If you plug the neck hole with a potato it seems to add moisture by sealing the insides of the chicken moisture is supposedly retained. Next the most important part is the upright chicken the breast which are done at 165 degrees are further from the heat and the thigh done at 180 is closer to the heat source if your using bottom heat such as a pellet grill or charcoal this is why it works. It also evens out the outside skin cook without flippin or turnin. Just my opinion everybody is entitled to one. Must admit never tried the spatchcock squish ha! laid em down and plenty rotisseries never as good as the upright position.

Here's my thoughts on why the beer can whole chicken is better than most. First I don't think it's the beer in the can either as others have said drink the beer put water back in it's place works just as good. If you plug the neck hole with a potato it seems to add moisture by sealing the insides of the chicken moisture is supposedly retained. Next the most important part is the upright chicken the breast which are done at 165 degrees are further from the heat and the thigh done at 180 is closer to the heat source if your using bottom heat such as a pellet grill or charcoal this is why it works. It also evens out the outside skin cook without flippin or turnin. Just my opinion everybody is entitled to one. Must admit never tried the spatchcock squish ha! laid em down and plenty rotisseries never as good as the upright position.
Pellet grills cook with convection. That's why the top track is just as effective of a cooking surface as the bottom. Try a spatchcock and you'll never go back.

I brine whole chickens for at least 12 hours and then use the beer can stand. I use half full soda can and cook at 375 degrees, using my Thermapen and Fireboard probes get the perfect temperature of 165 for some yummy juicy chix.

I have not done spatchcock method, will try it soon but will still brine the chicken.

I find that brining (or injecting) and spatchcocking produces superior results than the beer can method, at least in my opinion. Much more manageable in a pellet grill/smoker with a couple of probes in the breast and thigh.

I used to do quite a few beer can chickens over indirect lump charcoal and vouch for it as a cooking method. My RT has changed, simplified, and improved my whole bird cooking technique dramatically.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back