Beer Can Chicken Myth?

Mlmurrah

Grill(s) owned
  1. Bull
O Wise Ones, what say ye? Does a can of beer make any difference in the result? I am reading that it is a myth and may actually slow the cooking. They say the chicken is effectively a coozie that insulates the beer can and prevents it from heating to a boil, keeping the inside from cooking properly.

I get the same results on a stand with or without the can. Do one at least once a week.

Yes, but consider the aesthetics. An intact chicken cooked standing up is a thing of beauty. Spatchcocked not so much.
do you do the thing with the lemons, too? ;)

images

https://barbecuebible.com/2019/07/26/beer-can-chicken-revisited/

Attached is a good link on the revisit - they don't deny the fundamental basis of the steaming and moisture content, but it's still a good read on the overall process and why they still recommend it (obviously some bias because they have a book on Beer Can Chicken).

I tend to think that you have to read up on both sides, read between the lines and decide what direction you want to go...

So personally i think the practice of beer can chicken was simply to make a stand. As far as myth goes, Meathead is my go to, I was a little hesitant at first but after becoming a part of his community (many years ago mind you), as well as reading his book. He is a techie at heart and has done all his research to backup anything he says, i am a convert.

I used too do beer can chicken a lot. The wife and kid love it. However I started spatchcocking again and the wife said it was much more juicy.

The magic to juicy is simply not overcooking ;)

Spot on - that article I posted said the very same thing... They also said that beer can chicken can be a little more forgiving and help prevent serial overcookers, from overcooking, lol

That is very true because the fluid in the can absorbs heat and allows the flesh to cook more slowly. We now have thin metal little sticks with plastic parts we refer to as thermometers. It amazes me how many folks still dont use them, buy the cheapest ones they can find that may or may not be accurate and then wonder why there is no consistency to their cooks. If you cook something to the same temp every time, its amazing how often it will turn out exactly the same :oops:.

That is very true because the fluid in the can absorbs heat and allows the flesh to cook more slowly. We now have thin metal little sticks with plastic parts we refer to as thermometers. It amazes me how many folks still dont use them, buy the cheapest ones they can find that may or may not be accurate and then wonder why there is no consistency to their cooks. If you cook something to the same temp every time, its amazing how often it will turn out exactly the same :oops:.

Great post, you found the right blend of informative and snarky to prevent really offending anybody!

I think of a chicken as a football. When you cook in a beer can or upright (I did many times), you're kicking the football. When the bird is laying down cooking, it's the football ready to snap. Both can have uneven cooking times for white and dark meat. Spatchcockin (deflating the ball) for me, has produced the best white meat I've ever tasted.

I think of a chicken as a football. When you cook in a beer can or upright (I did many times), you're kicking the football. When the bird is laying down cooking, it's the football ready to snap. Both can have uneven cooking times for white and dark meat. Spatchcockin (deflating the ball) for me, has produced the best white meat I've ever tasted.
Great analogy and I agree on spatchcock chicken, I've always had great results.

As a non-New England fan... I must now solely rely on beer can chicken, because I'm not all about those deflated footballs...

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back