Dressed to Kill
Lifetime Premium!
Premium Member
Grill(s) owned
  1. Bull
  2. Trailblazer
  3. Bullseye
  4. RT-680
Has anyone here used "Beef Tallow" for a brisket cook?

Tallow Cook

Ok, watched his video. ...and a bunch of others.

Seems like it's plausible. But, I see a shortcut to all that rendering and filtering, if your use is just for the brisket...just toss in some of the long strips of "good" (soft) trimmed fat when you wrap, from when you trimmed your brisket. It'll render in the wrap and you can discard the remnant fat when you unwrap.

For the record, I don't do enough brisket to get good at it. My idea of good brisket is burnt ends from just the point, and some corned beef flat. When I want plated sliced bbq beef, I cook tritip. I get much more consistently good product and its been more enjoyable for me and people I serve.

Last edited:
I just watched that video the other day. He usually does have some good shows. I was wondering how well that has an impact in the cooking. I know when I smoke a chuck, when I wrap it I will put a few table spoons of butter on top, along with a little apple juice or Dr. Pepper for the remaining of the cook. They always come out great.

@jaspry , we will be waiting....

Trying it today. Put a 15-pound full packer on last night at midnight. Now at 194.4 at 1:39 PM. I'll let you know what I think.
Thanks, keep us posted please.

The last few briskets I've done have turned out very well. I thought I had everything down perfect and this extra step would take it over the top. Everything went just as scheduled. Put on at midnight at 225. Woke up and wrapped it in butcher paper at around 160. Finished at 15 hours and a few decimal points over 203. Probed with MK4: super-probe tender in the point, not as buttery but tender enough in the flat. Unwrapped, then squirted some beef tallow on new butcher paper. Brisket super jiggly while moving to new paper. Wrapped and rested for almost three hours.

The flat was visibly dry-looking from the first slice and continued all through the flat. The point was dead-on perfect in every single way - maybe best I ever had!

Confused!

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back