Beef Rib Lifter Meat

BethV

Premium Member!
Premium Member
Grill(s) owned
  1. Stampede
  2. Bullseye
I read a small article about lifter meat and saw one when I was at Restaurant Depot. Not a lot of information in the article but they did say this is an extremely tender beefy piece of meat. So I bought it.

I will do research on this but I was curious... Has anyone smoked this before and if so, do you have any tips or suggestions?

I've got 14.50 pounds of it. Thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_20201007_164715.jpg
    IMG_20201007_164715.jpg
    3.5 MB · Views: 783
From what I'm seeing on it, since it's a thinner cut, it's best used for stuff like skewers, marinated strips, steak sliders, and even fajitas.

I'll have to give this a look as well. I've never heard of such things, but now I'm intrigued. :unsure:

From what I'm seeing on it, since it's a thinner cut, it's best used for stuff like skewers, marinated strips, steak sliders, and even fajitas.

I'll have to give this a look as well. I've never heard of such things, but now I'm intrigued. :unsure:
It is intriguing. It's cut from the outside of the rib primal, and supposed to be very tender and tasty. It looks to me like a ball of meat in the package, but apparently, it resembles a brisket.. From what I am reading, it can be slow cooked on the smoker (like a brisket), or sliced thin as @TexasManInCajunLand stated.

I can't wait for this to thaw out so I can see what I am dealing with.

It is intriguing. It's cut from the outside of the rib primal, and supposed to be very tender and tasty. It looks to me like a ball of meat in the package, but apparently, it resembles a brisket.. From what I am reading, it can be slow cooked on the smoker (like a brisket), or sliced thin as @TexasManInCajunLand stated.

I can't wait for this to thaw out so I can see what I am dealing with.
Definitely let us know what is hiding in that delicious little ball of bovine love. :D

Lifter meat is the strip of meat that rounds a rib steak cut from the large end.
My favorite part. That's great that someone sells it.
View attachment 6734
@FastEddie We call that cap. I agree, it's amazing. That would be sweet! Costco sells cap but it's 2-3 inches thick and rolled up. When I buy a large rib eye roast (Prime Rib), I always deconstruct it. So I have a large flap of cap, rib bones and ribeye steaks. Thanks. Good to know!

I don't think the lifter meat is the same as the cap that we all love from the ribeye primal. It is often referred to as cap meat, but it's not the spinalis dorsi.....this is what it looks like:
1602196313968.png

To me, this looks like it's got the wide grain that is seen on flank, flat iron, skirt, etc. I suspect it would be fantastic marinated, and quick grilled like skirt or flank.

Let us know!

Rich

@cutplug thanks. I read that article also. It's interesting. So far, I have not found anyone who has worked with this meat. I'm unwrapping it today and will figure out what to do with it. Probably different things with different pieces.

Haven't seen much from you lately. Hope all is good and well!

@cutplug thanks. I read that article also. It's interesting. So far, I have not found anyone who has worked with this meat. I'm unwrapping it today and will figure out what to do with it. Probably different things with different pieces.

Haven't seen much from you lately. Hope all is good and well!
Hi Beth, all's good but with the covid I am still working full time and then shop and then cook as the rest
of the family seems content to shelter in place!
I had never heard of lifter meat either so I am glad that you are always are pushing the boundaries trying new things. I guess you could call the lifter the cap of the cap! With your skills I am sure you will make several tasty meals of it.

@cutplug sounds like a lucky family!
I'm looking forward to this little lifter challenge. Thanks for your confidence. I'll be posting pictures and results of my experiments. One thing I know for sure, I'm going to have 14 lb of something!

I wonder how many pieces that will be. You could try several methods from low and slow to hot and fast.
I still need to try a salt block a got a few Christmases ago. I have tempered it but need to cook on it now.
There is a Restaurant Depot an hour or so away from me but haven't gone there yet. So Costco, Smart Food Service and a local restaurant supply store called Minder meats... and the occasional splurge and SRF. After your posts on the beef plate ribs I did order some from a local small grocery chain (2 stores!) called Red Apple and that was some fantastic eats.
I will stay tuned to your efforts, thanks for sharing.

Much to my surprise this beef lifter meat is a cross between a flank steak and a skirt steak. It is incredibly lean with a very defined grain. I had only a handful of fat to trim off of 14 lbs of meat. And that's only because I didn't want any fat or silver skin. It was trimmed out of the package.

I'm doing it two ways. I took the thicker pieces and used four different rubs and those are on the bullseye at 225. I'm cooking those like I would cook a brisket.

The second way I'm doing it is on a spit. Each piece of meat has one of 3 different barbecue sauces and I added a Louisiana hot sauce into the mix as well. They are layered with some AP seasoning. They are on the 590 at 225.

I'm not in a rush so they'll cook until probe tender.

I did fry up a piece of the meat. Delicious flavor, very beefy and surprisingly tender.
This is a lot of very good meat for your money.

Attachments

• IMG_20201009_123942.jpg
    IMG_20201009_123942.jpg
    4.4 MB · Views: 170
  • IMG_20201009_135359.jpg
    IMG_20201009_135359.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 182
  • IMG_20201009_135033.jpg
    IMG_20201009_135033.jpg
    4 MB · Views: 197
  • IMG_20201009_135636.jpg
    IMG_20201009_135636.jpg
    4.5 MB · Views: 214
That spit meat (sounds bad : () ) is going to be killer. Did you slice and then stack?
I knew you would give it the care it deserves.
Noice!

Much to my surprise this beef lifter meat is a cross between a flank steak and a skirt steak. It is incredibly lean with a very defined grain. I had only a handful of fat to trim off of 14 lbs of meat. And that's only because I didn't want any fat or silver skin. It was trimmed out of the package.

I'm doing it two ways. I took the thicker pieces and used four different rubs and those are on the bullseye at 225. I'm cooking those like I would cook a brisket.

The second way I'm doing it is on a spit. Each piece of meat has one of 3 different barbecue sauces and I added a Louisiana hot sauce into the mix as well. They are layered with some AP seasoning. They are on the 590 at 225.

I'm not in a rush so they'll cook until probe tender.

I did fry up a piece of the meat. Delicious flavor, very beefy and surprisingly tender.
This is a lot of very good meat for your money.
Looks awesome Beth.

That spit meat (sounds bad : () ) is going to be killer. Did you slice and then stack?
I knew you would give it the care it deserves.
Noice!
@cutplug no, I didn't need to slice it at all. It was basically already cut into pieces and sliced. When I cut it off the spit, I will be cutting it like you would cut shawarma therefore I will be going against the grain.

So here is what I learned about lifter meat. It's really not to be smoked or cooked slow. It's more like a flank steak. It comes in a lot of pieces that look like little baby briskets. But it is best seared and sliced across the grain like you would do with a flank steak or a flat iron steak. Great for fajitas or burritos or tacos or really any thing you would put a sliced meat in. It's very flavorful.

I tried to cook it like a brisket. Big mistake. It completely dried out. Now it is in the crock pot to cook overnight as chili. And a lot of it.

The meat I put on the spit was very good. It's medium rare and very flavorful and very tender. That worked well. Probably would not do it again. But the outcome was very good.

I will definitely buy this cut of meat again. The method I use will be different.

Attachments

• IMG_20201009_194606.jpg
    IMG_20201009_194606.jpg
    4.4 MB · Views: 166
  • IMG_20201009_201242.jpg
    IMG_20201009_201242.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 208
  • IMG_20201009_201835.jpg
    IMG_20201009_201835.jpg
    3.8 MB · Views: 373
  • IMG_20201009_202153.jpg
    IMG_20201009_202153.jpg
    5.5 MB · Views: 169
@BethV that looks really good. I’d order an extra large bowl of that chili for sure. Thanks for sharing your lifter meat experience with us. I’ll be on the lookout for it.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WKMCD
Back