Beef Neck Roast

ken g

Grill(s) owned
  1. Bull
  2. Stampede
Never knew the cut existed until I was gifted one. Plan to cook low and slow like a brisket. Any alternate suggestions would be appreciated.

Never done a beef neck. Plenty of Deer necks albeit in a crock pot. Low and slow is the key to render all the connective tissue and fat.
Would love to see the final product. Post pics please!

x2 on low and slow to break down the connective tissue. Not ever cooked it, I would guess it might be like beef cheeks or similar which should have a ton of flavor after a long cook.

Please let us know how it works out.

Well I won't do that again. Put it on at 05:00. Wrapped it in butcher paper at 157. It fell back to 151 and never got hotter than 161. After 13.5 hours I pulled it. Tough as nails and all dried out. Now I know why there is very little data online about this cut.

Attachments

• IMG_4804.JPG
    IMG_4804.JPG
    275.1 KB · Views: 71
  • IMG_4806.JPG
    IMG_4806.JPG
    316.5 KB · Views: 69
  • IMG_4820 2.PNG
    IMG_4820 2.PNG
    77.2 KB · Views: 72
Well I won't do that again. Put it on at 05:00. Wrapped it in butcher paper at 157. It fell back to 151 and never got hotter than 161. After 13.5 hours I pulled it. Tough as nails and all dried out. Now I know why there is very little data online about this cut.
Thanks for sharing your experience.

I’ve never cooked that cut of meat (or, even heard of it until now), but my guess is that there’s very little fat in it, and a LOT of connective tissue. The neck muscles are pretty hard-working and don’t get much rest.

I suspect the butcher that came up with that cut likely was looking for a way to make a bit more profit than he would turning that muscle into hamburger.

Thanks for reporting your experience. If I run across that cut of meat in the future, I think I will pass.

Sorry. Never cooked a beef neck roast. But did plenty of deer neck roast. Never smoked or grilled them. Cooked the down in red gravy for long hours. A south Louisiana style, until the meat came off the bone.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back