Dressed to Kill
Lifetime Premium!
Premium Member
Grill(s) owned
  1. Bull
  2. Trailblazer
  3. Bullseye
  4. RT-680
I decided to smoke a whole beef brisket for Christmas day.
So I made a trip to my local Costco for a prime brisket but no such luck, they didn't look all that good and only a few to choose from.
Then I made a visit to my local Sam's club where I found Angus Beef Brisket for $2.78 per pound. Asked the butcher to help me so he brought out the entire case and we made our selection from there.

What does the group recommend for a rub? I have RT Heffer Dust and Casanova's comp rub. (My family doesn't like spicy hot so I won't be using the Screamin' Pig rub anymore).
I was thinking about SPG or one of the rubs mentioned above. Thoughts and cooking suggestions are appreciated, I hate to mess up Christmas dinner.

Thanks
Chris

I have one on right now with SPG and just a little bit of onion and paprika. You basically can't go wrong with SPG. I ordered some Heffer Dust to try this time around but it was supposed to be here a couple days ago...and is still in transit. So it was back to the SPG for this one. I think I might have overdone the SPG on the last one, it was a bit too salty for my liking.

I have one on right now with SPG and just a little bit of onion and paprika. You basically can't go wrong with SPG. I ordered some Heffer Dust to try this time around but it was supposed to be here a couple days ago...and is still in transit. So it was back to the SPG for this one. I think I might have overdone the SPG on the last one, it was a bit too salty for my liking.
Thank you 👍
I just tasted the RT Heffer Dust, it doesn't taste spicy but SPG is safe.

If I dont use a dalmation rub then I use this one. I've got few and I'll post them little later. If notice there is zero salt listed, that's because I dry brine all my packer briskets for 24hr.

3 tablespoon coarsely ground black pepper
1 tablespoon granulated white sugar
1 tablespoon onion powder
2 teaspoons mustard powder
2 teaspoons garlic powder
2 teaspoons American chili or ancho powder
1 teaspoon chipotle or cayenne powder

Here is what I usually mix up to season with

1 tablespoon ground white pepper
1 teaspoon ginger powder
1 teaspoon ground cumin
2 tablespoons onion powder
2 tablespoons garlic powder
2 tablespoons light brown sugar
1 tablespoon Old Bay Seasoning
1 tablespoon coarsely ground black pepper
2 tablespoons dry mustard

I've used Mikes All Purpose Seasonings for years now. I throw it on everything just about, but my better half doesn't like it as much on chicken.

I love Kosmos everything but for me, I like it simple on brisket and let the meat do the talking. Sometimes its just salt and a heavy dose of pepper but lately I've been keen on John Henry's Texas Brisket Rub. It's also good on smoked veggies and even salads. Heck, I put it on tomatoes and avocados.

Being new to smoking, I haven't tried making my own rubs yet.

My go-to for most smoking and grilling is Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, but when I do use a rub, Brantley Creek Texas Pecan is what works for me.

I love Kosmos everything but for me, I like it simple on brisket and let the meat do the talking. Sometimes its just salt and a heavy dose of pepper but lately I've been keen on John Henry's Texas Brisket Rub. It's also good on smoked veggies and even salads. Heck, I put it on tomatoes and avocados.
Agree, let the meat do the talking! IMO, when I see people use A1 or Worcestershire sauce on steaks, I figured it's because the meat is bad, lol. I've heard John Henry's is very good, have a friend that swears by it, but never used it myself.
I watched some Aaron Franklin on YouTube the other day and decide to stick with 2 to 1 course black pepper to kosher salt and a little garlic on a Wagyu brisket yesterday. It came out awesome flavor, juicy and meat melted in our mouths. My wife never goes for seconds, but she did this time. I smoked at 225F, used B&B post oak, and added walnut oil as base for the rub to stick. Here are some pics, but it's all gone today and didn't last 24hrs, haha.

Attachments

• IMG_6179.jpeg
    IMG_6179.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 110
  • IMG_6181.jpeg
    IMG_6181.jpeg
    2.9 MB · Views: 117
  • IMG_6182.jpeg
    IMG_6182.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 102
Never seen a Wagyu brisket before I bet it's yummy!

So I made a trip to my local Costco for a prime brisket but no such luck, they didn't look all that good and only a few to choose from.
Then I made a visit to my local Sam's club where I found Angus Beef Brisket for $2.78 per pound. Asked the butcher to help me so he brought out the entire case and we made our selection from there.

What does the group recommend for a rub? I have RT Heffer Dust and Casanova's comp rub. (My family doesn't like spicy hot so I won't be using the Screamin' Pig rub anymore).
I was thinking about SPG or one of the rubs mentioned above. Thoughts and cooking suggestions are appreciated, I hate to mess up Christmas dinner.

Thanks
Chris
Probably a bit late on this reply, but have a look here
https://amazingribs.com/tested-recipes/spice-rubs-and-pastes/big-bad-beef-rub-recipe

I have done a couple of briskets with this rub and the bark and flavor are really good. I actually like the no-wrap method better but if you do wrap give pink butcher paper a try. It does not tend to "steam" the brisket as much and maintains the bark better IMHO.

Probably a bit late on this reply, but have a look here
https://amazingribs.com/tested-recipes/spice-rubs-and-pastes/big-bad-beef-rub-recipe

I have done a couple of briskets with this rub and the bark and flavor are really good. I actually like the no-wrap method better but if you do wrap give pink butcher paper a try. It does not tend to "steam" the brisket as much and maintains the bark better IMHO.
Thank you (y)
I was torn on wrapping so the butcher paper it is. Funny, I watched a youtube video of Harry Soo (slap yo daddy) using both butcher paper and foil, not sure why??

I've been using John Henry's Texas Brisket Rub. I like the flavor profile for a wide variety of meats. I've tried others as well as just salt and pepper. I still like the JHTBR.

I realize it‘s getting late in the cooking game and I certainly appreciate the feeedback that was provided to the OP‘s question. I can’t wait to try some of the suggestions. One thing I have learned about large beef, turkey and pork cooks is that it all starts with a binder. I’ve tried many (e.g., mustard, mayo, and a plethora of infused olive oils, butters, and miscellaneous sauces), but for your application I recommend Minors Au Jus Beef Prep or Diamond Beef Base without MSG. Their viscosity allows for great coverage of your meat and when properly applied act well as the “glue“ for applying the various spices and seasonings identified here and on other pages. One thing I especially enjoy about the beef base is its‘ ability to blend with the natural beef fragrances and how it can assist in creating the “right color” for the finished item. Like always, just my opinion and I certainly appreciate any improvements anyone can add so I can continue to improve my “grilling game”

I realize it‘s getting late in the cooking game and I certainly appreciate the feeedback that was provided to the OP‘s question. I can’t wait to try some of the suggestions. One thing I have learned about large beef, turkey and pork cooks is that it all starts with a binder. I’ve tried many (e.g., mustard, mayo, and a plethora of infused olive oils, butters, and miscellaneous sauces), but for your application I recommend Minors Au Jus Beef Prep or Diamond Beef Base without MSG. Their viscosity allows for great coverage of your meat and when properly applied act well as the “glue“ for applying the various spices and seasonings identified here and on other pages. One thing I especially enjoy about the beef base is its‘ ability to blend with the natural beef fragrances and how it can assist in creating the “right color” for the finished item. Like always, just my opinion and I certainly appreciate any improvements anyone can add so I can continue to improve my “grilling game”
I tried a mixture of Better than Bullion and Worcestershire sauce as a binder.

Thanks
Chris
Meat Church Holy Cow is great on brisket

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back