Stampede Bear Mountain Pellets

Dougfresh

Grill(s) owned
  1. Stampede
Ran low on pellets toward the end of a long cook and had to add the Bear Mountain pellets I got from their recent sale.

I definitely didn’t run out of pellets but right when the auger probably started feeding the Bear Mountain pellets I saw 40 degree temperature spike and the temp stayed 30-40 degrees above the set point for about 30 min.

Do the bear mountain pellets burn hotter and the grill had to adjust? Or was it just the grill adjusting to new pellets? I noticed the Bear Mountain pellets are a little larger compared to the lumberjack I was using previously.

I just did my first cook with Bear Mountain (from the BOGO sale) and had no problem holding the set temperature. I vacuumed the previous pellets out so didn’t have the switch over during the cook that you had. My guess is that it took a while for your controller to adjust.

I have used both RT and Bear Mountain. When I first switched to BM had to slow feed rate down. I thinks its because the BM pellets are longer. I have no problem holding temp. I use BM on the bullseye also.

I have not tried anything else to compare with.

I have just re-ordered from Bear Mountain and have not had any issues. I have not slowed down the auger or made any adjustments.

I tore open a bag of the robust here recently from the BOGO sale. They do run hot on the Bullseye. Seems to have decent smoke as well. I have cooked with them three times now and they do well above 350°. I have not smoked with them yet. The $18.99 for 20lbs. plus shipping has me spooked though compared to the Lumberjack prices at half of that. It was fun to try them though, and am calling them good pellets currently.

I just smoked a Tri Tip with BM mesquite and everything went well and tasted great!

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back