Bear Mountain at Costco

Waterboy

Lifetime Premium!
Premium Member
Grill(s) owned
  1. Bull
  2. Bullseye
For those who want to try Bear Mountain pellets but don’t have them near you I got an email from Costco this morning that had Gourmet BBQ and Bourbon BBQ pellets 40# bags for $24.99 delivered. I usually pay $9.99 for Hickory or Oak at Tractor Supply but Gourmet usually runs $10.99 so for a delivered price it’s not too bad. Check the Costco website for your zip code if you are interested.

F6C30E4D-9EE1-409B-ABC1-DEE4B8359C30.jpg

For those who want to try Bear Mountain pellets but don’t have them near you I got an email from Costco this morning that had Gourmet BBQ and Bourbon BBQ pellets 40# bags for $24.99 delivered. I usually pay $9.99 for Hickory or Oak at Tractor Supply but Gourmet usually runs $10.99 so for a delivered price it’s not too bad. Check the Costco website for your zip code if you are interested.
View attachment 15818
Any idea which wood they use for the Gourmet?

Any idea which wood they use for the Gourmet?
Oak, Hickory, Maple, and Cherry according to the website but I have no idea what percentages of each.

I think this is a little disappointing being still over 50 cents a lb. Not a bad price and I would grab if I didn't have other options.

My favorite is the bold…..oak, hickory mesquite. 👍🏼

What other options? Thanks
I had been buying from Rural King - their brand of pellets and liked them. But from what I've seen online, they may not be selling them or are out of stock as I only see Lumber Jack for $11.99 a bag for 20 lbs. which last year that was $8.88 and the Rural King brand was $7.88. So this deal here doesn't look too bad but I am very low on pellets and will have to get some soon. I'm not sure what happened but that's a $3 a bag increase from last year....

Stores I look at in my area are Rural King, Farm and Fleet but Costco could be an option now also. There is always Menards or Walmart which has Pit boss which I'm not a fan of but do work.

Last edited:
Must be regional thing. The Augusta, GA Costco sells Kirkland and Traeger pellets, since they also peddle their special "pack-up" from Traeger, just like QVC used to.

Must be regional thing. The Augusta, GA Costco sells Kirkland and Traeger pellets, since they also peddle their special "pack-up" from Traeger, just like QVC used to.
The offer I posted was online only including delivery. Our Costco only sells Traeger and Kirkland in store. I knew some folks wanted to try Bear Mountain but didn’t have them available locally so this was an option.

I had been buying from Rural King - their brand of pellets and liked them. But from what I've seen online, they may not be selling them or are out of stock as I only see Lumber Jack for $11.99 a bag for 20 lbs. which last year that was $8.88 and the Rural King brand was $7.88. So this deal here doesn't look too bad but I am very low on pellets and will have to get some soon. I'm not sure what happened but that's a $3 a bag increase from last year....

Stores I look at in my area are Rural King, Farm and Fleet but Costco could be an option now also. There is always Menards or Walmart which has Pit boss which I'm not a fan of but do work.
Rual king, Bear mountain and lumberjack are all made here in Wisconsin by Lignetics.

Rual king, Bear mountain and lumberjack are all made here in Wisconsin by Lignetics.
Interesting, so all made at the same factory I take it? I know cookinpellets is up in Racine, WI. I say up in b/c I'm in chicagoland area.

Rural king, Bear mountain and lumberjack are all made here in Wisconsin by Lignetics.
Well, yes, no and maybe!

"Yes," the private equity firm, EagleTree Capital owns "Lignetics" which, in turn, owns both Lumberjack and Bear Mountain brands and factories. Here's a link to an article that provides more details: https://www.cookoutnews.com/who-own...owns-lumber-jack-pellets-its-the-same-answer/

And, "No" to both Bear Mountain and Lumberjack pellets being made in the same Wisconsin factory. Lumberjack is made in a Wisconsin plant while Bear Mountain pellets are made in Oregon.

The "maybe" is that it isn't clear who actually makes "house brand" pellets for Rural King. They may be made by Lumberjack, Bear Mountain or someone else. I haven't found a credible source to pinpoint the actual manufacturer.

While both Bear Mountain and Lumberjack pellet brands fall under the same overall ownership umbrella, it does not follow that the pellets are actually the same. Neither does it follow that Rural King pellets are the same as either Lumberjack or Bear Mountain. In my experience using both Lumberjack and Bear Mountain pellets, they ARE definitely different. I have found both brands to be good, but there have been subtle flavor, heat and size differences between the two. I have never used Rural King pellets, so don't have any experience with them. YMMV

Well, yes, no and maybe!

"Yes," the private equity firm, EagleTree Capital owns "Lignetics" which, in turn, owns both Lumberjack and Bear Mountain brands and factories. Here's a link to an article that provides more details: https://www.cookoutnews.com/who-own...owns-lumber-jack-pellets-its-the-same-answer/

And, "No" to both Bear Mountain and Lumberjack pellets being made in the same Wisconsin factory. Lumberjack is made in a Wisconsin plant while Bear Mountain pellets are made in Oregon.

The "maybe" is that it isn't clear who actually makes "house brand" pellets for Rural King. They may be made by Lumberjack, Bear Mountain or someone else. I haven't found a credible source to pinpoint the actual manufacturer.

While both Bear Mountain and Lumberjack pellet brands fall under the same overall ownership umbrella, it does not follow that the pellets are actually the same. Neither does it follow that Rural King pellets are the same as either Lumberjack or Bear Mountain. In my experience using both Lumberjack and Bear Mountain pellets, they ARE definitely different. I have found both brands to be good, but there have been subtle flavor, heat and size differences between the two. I have never used Rural King pellets, so don't have any experience with them. YMMV
I can only say what I've seen leaving the factory.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back