Baking pizza on the griddle?

ARCbbq

Grill(s) owned
  1. Stampede
Has anyone tried baking pizza on the griddle? Don't know if the griddle seasoning would affect anything. Takes some time to get up to 500 deg, but since it's heavy, should hold heat well for multiple pies.

I have not used the griddle for pizza but I cook pizza almost every Friday using GrillGrates flipped over so I have a flat surface. That works really well. i smoke on low (225 or 250) and then crank up the heat at the end to crisp up the crust.
I would think the griddle could be used in the same manner. I have the griddle but I use the GrillGrates because they have holes in them allowing the smoke to better circulate around the pizza. Pizza should not hurt your seasoning, but you can lightly oil it each cook as a precaution The more you use it the better the seasoning will be.

Has anyone tried baking pizza on the griddle? Don't know if the griddle seasoning would affect anything. Takes some time to get up to 500 deg, but since it's heavy, should hold heat well for multiple pies.

1601187139754.jpeg

1601187209293.jpeg
Today’s cook using the Grill Grates flat side up. I’ve done it several times and it has been consistent enough to get a thumbs up. I use the Bull set at 500 degrees, grates hit around 575. Dont forget to use a little corn meal on the bottom of your dough. It has a higher burn temperature and makes sliding a pizza paddle under the cooked pie much easier.

Nice. I bought a Lodge round cast iron griddle (about 13" in diameter) that I'm going to use next. Don't have the grill grates, but looks like a good idea.

Just did a 12" pizza on the Lodge round cast iron griddle last night. I did it on my 2 burner gas grill (500+ deg). Let the grill heat for about 20 minutes before cooking. Pizza done in 10 minutes. crust was really crispy, probably the best crust I've done. Will use this griddle on my 590 next & compare results. The cast iron holds heat like crazy. Was still warm 45 minutes after the grill was turned off. Next time I'll cook multiple pizzas since the griddle stays so hot. I can actually fit 2 of the Lodge griddles on my 590 if I was cooking for a larger group. Even though the diameter is 13", fast cook times might make up the difference.

View attachment 6590

View attachment 6591Today’s cook using the Grill Grates flat side up. I’ve done it several times and it has been consistent enough to get a thumbs up. I use the Bull set at 500 degrees, grates hit around 575. Dont forget to use a little corn meal on the bottom of your dough. It has a higher burn temperature and makes sliding a pizza paddle under the cooked pie much easier.
that looks really good. how long do those take to cook at 500 degrees?

that looks really good. how long do those take to cook at 500 degrees?
I am typically averaging anywhere from 12 to 15 minutes depending on the pie‘s size and the amount of ingredients I put on top of it. The X factor is always the amount of cheese however. Happy cooking.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back