Stampede Bad jam on my 590 with pics

kevboz

Grill(s) owned
  1. Stampede
So I was getting ready to do my first attempt at poor mans burnt ends. I fire up the 590 and notice it wouldn't come up to any temp.
I open it up and notice no pellets in the fire pit. I take a handful and put them in. A few minutes later and I smell smoke. Good to go.
A few minutes later I notice the temp is going down. I look once again and see no pellets. Wonderful.
Turn it off and back on and listen for the sound of the auger spinning. I can't hear anything. I look inside and I can't see it spinning either.

I watch a few videos and they mention seeing if the fan goes on for the auger motor. It does, so that is good but I figure I'll make a call to their support and get their input.
I spoke with Lewis (Very helpful) and he advised that I probably have a jam. He said to remove all the pellets and take the augur out along with the motor to see if it is spinning.
I remove a few screws and get to the motor. I take it out, power it on and see the motor spinning. That is good but why won't it spin. I try and stick an allen wrench in the 2 holes for the auger and spin it. It won't budge. I even put a small pipe wrench on it. Still nothing. It is really jammed.

I remove the pellets with the shop vac and remove that safety cover in the hopper. Once I get to the bottom of the hopper I see the problem. A tightly packed bunch of sawdust that is like a rock. I had to chip away at it with a screw driver and eventually got it cleaned up. Once I did that I was able to slowly unscrew the auger and remove it. I still had to use a pipewrench and buggered up the end of it a little bit. Looking in the hole, I still see tons of tightly packed sawdust in there. I had to use a really long punch to chip away at it.

I do have the vent covers for my 590. I try and always cover the 590. After my last cook on it about 3 weeks ago, it started to rain just as I was finishing the cook. I ended up pulling the power cord on it and didn't let it finish the cooldown. (Lewis said that isn't a good thing to do) I didn't put the cover on it because it was still hot. I put the cover on the next day after it stopped raining and everything dried out.
Looking at the pics you can see the rust on the auger. Clearly there is water getting in there. I'm in MD and it hasn't been too humid here. I'm amazed at how much sawdust is in there. I think I'm really going to be careful about pouring any additional sawdust when I fill it up. I hope this helps anyone else that may run into this issue.
I'm going to run my pellets down low from now so I can see the bottom of the hopper and keep it clean. That should eliminate this issue in the future.

PXL_20210416_141530408.jpg
PXL_20210416_142655234.jpg
PXL_20210416_142849902.jpg
PXL_20210416_143009477.jpg
PXL_20210416_143719185.jpg

I don't see how rain can enter the pellet hopper. I wonder if you have a pellet problem with that much dust. I always let my pellet hopper run down to almost empty so I can push any accumulated dust into the auger. That's why I removed the "safety" screen. As slow as the auger turns if I get my fingers pinched I consider that "operator error" and brands me as an idiot.

When talking to support, Lewis asked me if I had the vent covers. I told him I do. They will help with water but unless I put some high temp sealant around it, some water can still get in.

If water got in through the vents, I can't imagine it filled up so much that if cut that deep into the auger so I'm a little curious as to where the water is getting in.

I also removed that safety screen. I'm the only the uses it so I will now run the pellets low and check.

That sawdust is the result of water turning the pellets to mush then drying out. I get lots of sawdust too but I don't think that's the issue here. Water seems to be the culprit. Still doesn't hurt to vacuum sawdust every now and then.

Judging by the rust on the auger it somehow got moisture in it. The cover being put on soon after the rain sounds about right as it would trap and hold moisture. If it gets rained on again it might pay to fire it up and let it burn for 1/2 hr as soon as the sun shines.

Sorry to see that. I noted how poorly the vent covers fit and had to seal mine. I see that they have changed to multiple louvered vents on the 590 like on the Bullseye. Does not take much water to turn the pellets to mush, and when dried they are like concrete. I think enough water could get through the unsealed vent covers to do the job. It would then run into the fire pot easily enough. If it had come through the hopper, then the pellets up above would have been also damaged. If you decide to seal the vent covers, I would first remove them, clean both surfaces and then load them with high temp (gray) caulk before pushing them back in, and bending the the flanges to tighten. You can then wipe off the excess sealant around the edges to make it neat. They won't leak then. (I did just that and tested them--no leaks). I also vacuum the bottom of the hopper about every 3-4 months to clean out the dust. Less dust since I started using LJ pellets as well. Putting a cover over a wet pit could cause some humidity problems, but I don't think it would be that severe in the auger space.

Great suggestions everyone. I think I'll get some sealant and try that next. I did make sure there was no water/ moisture in the cover when I put it back on after that rain the next day.

I assume they sell high temp sealant @ Lowes or Home Depot?

Great suggestions everyone. I think I'll get some sealant and try that next. I did make sure there was no water/ moisture in the cover when I put it back on after that rain the next day.

I assume they sell high temp sealant @ Lowes or Home Depot?
Perhaps but definitely auto stores and Amazon.

I have the exact same issue going on right now.

Hope to dig into it this weekend.

Got all the pellets cleared and as much of the jam as I could.

I can hear the auger motor trying to turn, so that's good news.??

Do you (OP)/they have any tutorials or suggestions on getting it (auger) out with ease?

I'm not afraid to tear it apart, just want to have an idea what I should be expecting.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back