Bacon - Whole or Sliced?

John.

Grill(s) owned
  1. Trailblazer
Sliced bacon on the Rec Tec is awesome, either Bacon Candy or slow cooked with Honey Rib Rub. I've never tried whole bacon, or pork belly. What's the difference in the final product between cooking sliced bacon vs pork belly. Then slicing?

I have not tried it, but typically, if someone is doing the pork belly, they are smoking it to create bacon. After preparing and smoking the belly, you would slice then have bacon to fry or cook as bacon. I have done pork belly burnt ends, which was good. Smoked a small pork belly, then cut it up in squares and seasoned again and cooked on a mat as burnt ends.

AH, thanks. that makes sense now. Funny, I love burnt ends but never knew what meat it came from. Yet another thing I will be trying on the Rec Tec grill. Thanks for the info.

There is Brisket burnt ends and pork belly burnt ends. the brisket burnt ends are typically from the Point of the brisket. As much as I love pork, I prefer the brisket burnt ends myself. I even prefer the brisket burnt ends (Point) over the Flat, but I usually can not buy the Point only.

After reading your first post I looked into recipes and discovered that there are both beef and pork burnt ends as you said, so, the tough decision for me this weekend is which one to try first LOL I may have to ponder this tough decision over some cold ones later today. LOL

You see!?? The world of Rec Tec is never ending. I did not know any of this about burnt ends until now. Other than they are delicious. :)

Everytime I visit this forum, I see another recipe I want/NEED to try... Enjoy the Rec Tec Lifestyle!

I just finished my first run at curing a pork belly and then smoking and slicing it to fry for bacon. It was good. I’ve also just done, pork belly, whole, uncured on the smoker. It makes great street tacos. 2 different preps and final products. Most import, it’s all pork and all delicious ??

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Latest posts

Back