Grill(s) owned
  1. Stampede
  2. Bullseye
Getting hungry

Attachments

• 20210409_124950.jpg
    20210409_124950.jpg
    9.2 MB · Views: 130
Had a strange experience cooking these baby back ribs from Sam’s. Cooked at 250 flipping last hour for 5 minutes to install BBQ sauce on two of the slabs and then flipped them back over. I was expecting to take about 4.5 hours like my last baby back cookout. Started performing the bend test at 4 hours, 4.5 hours, and 5 hours then took them off. Ribs never passed the bend test, just slightly bend and no skin cracking. The Mrs checked the temp with a Mk4 and they were getting close to 150 degrees so we took them off at 5 hours. We don’t like fall off the bones ribs. Also, I left the skin on. We like them that way and PITA to peel it off, LOL. Wife said they were the best she ever had and I concurred. Baby back slabs were the meatiest ribs we ever had too. Anyone speculate why they never passed the bend test?

Attachments

• Cook 9 April  2021-2.jpg
    Cook 9 April 2021-2.jpg
    4 MB · Views: 62
Well Charles that is an interesting question. I wonder if the combination of skin and your goal to have a bit of tug makes it less likely to hit the bend test? The ribs look good to me. I ran a bunch of St. Louis racks on Sunday for 6 hours at 225. The outcome is probably similar to where you finished. That is a winner with my family. I did take off the skin but was not shooting for fall off bone.

Well Charles that is an interesting question. I wonder if the combination of skin and your goal to have a bit of tug makes it less likely to hit the bend test? The ribs look good to me. I ran a bunch of St. Louis racks on Sunday for 6 hours at 225. The outcome is probably similar to where you finished. That is a winner with my family. I did take off the skin but was not shooting for fall off bone.
Did you do the bend test? My last batch passed the bend test and I left the skin on them too.

Those do look great!

I recently did a set on the Bull started at 9AM @ 225 with some competition rub. Spritz with apple juice about every hour checking for bend and cracking. Finally about 4PM while still questionable, I turned it up to 250 till 5PM and were getting closer but I gave in and sauced and pulled at 530 PM. Although not bad they were not fall off the bone and were what I would say a little dry. Did nothing different from my last cook that finished sooner by hours with the bend test and no spritz. I think when it comes to ribs they just cook differently for some reason. I am comparing the same brand and type (Berkshire). Not sure myself other than they just vary that much :unsure: .

Did you do the bend test? My last batch passed the bend test and I left the skin on them too.
I did not. I will attribute that to a combination of hunger and laziness. I think I will call that one the "looks about right and the family is ready test". Ideally another 30-60 minutes would have been fine.

Had a strange experience cooking these baby back ribs from Sam’s. Cooked at 250 flipping last hour for 5 minutes to install BBQ sauce on two of the slabs and then flipped them back over. I was expecting to take about 4.5 hours like my last baby back cookout. Started performing the bend test at 4 hours, 4.5 hours, and 5 hours then took them off. Ribs never passed the bend test, just slightly bend and no skin cracking. The Mrs checked the temp with a Mk4 and they were getting close to 150 degrees so we took them off at 5 hours. We don’t like fall off the bones ribs. Also, I left the skin on. We like them that way and PITA to peel it off, LOL. Wife said they were the best she ever had and I concurred. Baby back slabs were the meatiest ribs we ever had too. Anyone speculate why they never passed the bend test?
BB ribs do not bend as easily as spares. BB's are thicker and curved and seem almost jointed at the spine end.. When BB's bend easily they are overcooked IMO. Also, if you get racks over 3 lbs they usually have bigger flatter bones and bend even less. Bigger is not better in pork ribs. I think that is why they are called baby backs.

BB ribs do not bend as easily as spares. BB's are thicker and curved and seem almost jointed at the spine end.. When BB's bend easily they are overcooked IMO. Also, if you get racks over 3 lbs they usually have bigger flatter bones and bend even less. Bigger is not better in pork ribs. I think that is why they are called baby backs.
Thanks. Didn't know all that.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back