Baby Back Ribs - What am I doing wrong

That's pretty cool. I've got a Fluke too, but this is the first I've seen of the thermocouple, not that I'm going to shell out for one at this point.
There's probably $2000 to $2500 sitting in that box, like I said crazy expensive. I've had it since the mid 1980s.

So I'm new to Pellet grilling. Got the 590 a couple months ago and have done okay thus far. I'm struggling with baby back ribs though. I'm looking for the bite off the bone goodness. I've cooked them twice thus far using the 2-2-1 method. Reading that 3-2-1 is for spare ribs. Both attempts were at 225.

First attempt started great. Spritzed around every 30 mins. When I wrapped, I added honey, butter, and some of the apple juice spritz. Unwrapped after 2 hours and they were nice and tender. Halfway into the last part (unwrap for an hour) I noticed the ribs went from tender to hard as a rock. I panicked and wrapped them again for the final 30 mins (with sauce). Then let them sit for an hour (wrapped) before cutting. They turned out ok but were a little tough. Wasn't coming cleanly off the bone.

Second attempt I did everything the same except after unwrapping, I threw a probe in it for the final unwrapped hour. The temp read between 167-169 for the full hour. I know I'm looking for at least 195 but the kids were hungry and it was getting late. Rested them for 20 mins and they turned out slightly better than the first time but not tender enough.

Only thing I can think of is they need cooked longer. Everything I read says a 3-2-1 is too long for baby back though. The stalled temp seems odd for ribs, as some parts of it were much higher after unwrapping. Should I try not wrapping next time? Any guidance would be appreciated.
Use this recipe with your own rub or buy this guy’s stuff. I make my own butter, honey, brown sugar mixture and add some chipotle pepper seasoning. His method works...

Doing ribs today for the first time, going no sauce... Gonna spritz them after 2 hours and then let them cook another 2 before a second spritz.

So I'm new to Pellet grilling. Got the 590 a couple months ago and have done okay thus far. I'm struggling with baby back ribs though. I'm looking for the bite off the bone goodness. I've cooked them twice thus far using the 2-2-1 method. Reading that 3-2-1 is for spare ribs. Both attempts were at 225.

First attempt started great. Spritzed around every 30 mins. When I wrapped, I added honey, butter, and some of the apple juice spritz. Unwrapped after 2 hours and they were nice and tender. Halfway into the last part (unwrap for an hour) I noticed the ribs went from tender to hard as a rock. I panicked and wrapped them again for the final 30 mins (with sauce). Then let them sit for an hour (wrapped) before cutting. They turned out ok but were a little tough. Wasn't coming cleanly off the bone.

Second attempt I did everything the same except after unwrapping, I threw a probe in it for the final unwrapped hour. The temp read between 167-169 for the full hour. I know I'm looking for at least 195 but the kids were hungry and it was getting late. Rested them for 20 mins and they turned out slightly better than the first time but not tender enough.

Only thing I can think of is they need cooked longer. Everything I read says a 3-2-1 is too long for baby back though. The stalled temp seems odd for ribs, as some parts of it were much higher after unwrapping. Should I try not wrapping next time? Any guidance would be appreciated.
One of the most famous baby back ribs cooks is Johnny Triggs. On one of the cook shows he has a cook off competition with some of the best. It is on Discovery Channel. All of these people cook at 250 or 275. Milssa Cookson also a Grand Royal rib champ cooks at 250. 250 for 2 hours, 1 to 1&1/2 wrapped and max one hour unwrapped after that. They all prefer the bend test or toothpick tenderness test. I have used this time and temp for years and works well. You will still have verification on outcome based on fat content, thickness of the ribs, Even the best that do this for a living can’t duplicate their best cook day after day. So I don’t get to upset eating my mistakes.

@Simarti28 thanks for the video. I have not seen that one.
Malcom Reed always makes it look easy.
Love his stuff.
I would love to see him using The Bull.

Last edited:
I’m still learning every day I cook, but at the same time I’ve been doing ribs for a long time on a variety of different cookers. I’ve tried every x+y+z method out there, rotating, spritzing, wrapping, and if there is anything I’m missing it‘s just because I can’t remember it right now. In all the complexity and hoops I’ve jumped through, I thought I had a pretty solid method of cooking ribs…

Then the wife and I attended recteq academy December 2020. We cooked brisket, ribs, and chicken for blind taste judging according to the rules of all the xyz cooking competition associations. My wife and I were teamed with Chef Greg from recteq and we cooked our ribs at 325* for two hours, period. Rub at the beginning and sauce at the end, but that was it. The ribs were fantastic.

Since we returned, I‘ve played with the concept of simple is better, and I’m sold. I’m still not ready to blast my ribs at 325* but this is what I’ve come up with. The ribs today were seasoned with a layer of my own rub mix, which I’ve shared here, followed by a light seasoning of Meat Church Honey Hog BBQ rub which I just received and my wife really liked the taste.

They went on the RT-340 at 13:00 at 250*. No turning, no spritzing, nothing until 4 hours later when I applied a coat of Blues Hog BBQ sauce. Thirty minutes later (4-1/2 hours total) and this is what they look like. The sides of Mac & Cheese and French Fries were cooked on the Bullseye at 425*. The ribs had a little pull (which I like) and were yet close to fall off the bone (which my wife likes). Winner, all the way around. Don’t overthink how you are cooking ribs, or anything else for that matter. Just have fun with it and learn from every cook.

D9899D71-18DA-4CB9-903B-017C7055CCAC.jpeg
E3EDE54E-40E1-4A5E-A802-1963D1A20C52.jpeg
7EAE62DF-C551-4858-8C97-4E69735F90A2.jpeg
205187D6-2A52-4D77-980C-EAB58115D517.jpeg

I’m not as advanced as everyone else here. I just got this Killer Hogs rub at Walmart and rub it on right before I throw the ribs in my 590. I cooked 4 small racks on Sunday that were awesome. I set the temp at 225 and went for two hours. I then wrapped them tightly in foil with brown sugar, honey, and apple juice and went two more hours. I then unwrapped them and covered them with Sweet Baby Ray’s also from Walmart and let them cook until they passed the bend test. My wife, daughter, and I ate all four racks in a few minutes.

062B06C8-5768-4287-8EA8-9C282E1A3DBA.jpeg
image.jpg

I’m still learning every day I cook, but at the same time I’ve been doing ribs for a long time on a variety of different cookers. I’ve tried every x+y+z method out there, rotating, spritzing, wrapping, and if there is anything I’m missing it‘s just because I can’t remember it right now. In all the complexity and hoops I’ve jumped through, I thought I had a pretty solid method of cooking ribs…

Then the wife and I attended recteq academy December 2020. We cooked brisket, ribs, and chicken for blind taste judging according to the rules of all the xyz cooking competition associations. My wife and I were teamed with Chef Greg from recteq and we cooked our ribs at 325* for two hours, period. Rub at the beginning and sauce at the end, but that was it. The ribs were fantastic.

Since we returned, I‘ve played with the concept of simple is better, and I’m sold. I’m still not ready to blast my ribs at 325* but this is what I’ve come up with. The ribs today were seasoned with a layer of my own rub mix, which I’ve shared here, followed by a light seasoning of Meat Church Honey Hog BBQ rub which I just received and my wife really liked the taste.

They went on the RT-340 at 13:00 at 250*. No turning, no spritzing, nothing until 4 hours later when I applied a coat of Blues Hog BBQ sauce. Thirty minutes later (4-1/2 hours total) and this is what they look like. The sides of Mac & Cheese and French Fries were cooked on the Bullseye at 425*. The ribs had a little pull (which I like) and were yet close to fall off the bone (which my wife likes). Winner, all the way around. Don’t overthink how you are cooking ribs, or anything else for that matter. Just have fun with it and learn from every cook.

View attachment 8838View attachment 8839View attachment 8840View attachment 8841
Use this recipe with your own rub or buy this guy’s stuff. I make my own butter, honey, brown sugar mixture and add some chipotle pepper seasoning. His method works...

Attachments

• FullSizeRender.mov
    9.4 MB
The best ribs I’ve made is by using the method in this video from the MadScientistBBQ. Link So easy. I do add just a little rub with the kosher salt and course ground pepper. If you’re wondering what rubs to use MadScientistBBQ has a video on different rubs too. Link

My wife and I were teamed with Chef Greg from recteq and we cooked our ribs at 325* for two hours, period. Rub at the beginning and sauce at the end, but that was it. The ribs were fantastic.

View attachment 8838View attachment 8839View attachment 8840View attachment 8841

Greg, once again great info and great looking food.

This post leads to several things to try😄. For the 325 ribs were those BB or St Louis style? Same question on the ones pictured.

However the big question is the the fries on the bullseye, how did they taste? How did you cook them?

Greg, once again great info and great looking food.

This post leads to several things to try😄. For the 325 ribs were those BB or St Louis style? Same question on the ones pictured.

However the big question is the the fries on the bullseye, how did they taste? How did you cook them?
Thanks! The 325 ribs, as are the ones pictured here, were Baby Backs.

On the fries, I should have mentioned that I didn’t make them from scratch. These are Ore-Ida Extra Crispy Fast Food Fries. They are absolutely the best fries I’ve eaten that were not cooked in a deep fryer, period! Cooked on the Bullseye @425* (25* less than what the recommended temp is) on a sheet pan sprayed with duck fat to give them a little extra crispy boost. Highly recommended.

Greg thanks for the info.

I can see the 325 method if your short on time. If I can get to the grocery store today and find those fries they will be going with some burgers on the bullseye.

I simply do 250 degrees for 2 hours, wrap Johnny Trigging style for 2 hours, then glaze for 30 minutes (adding additional glaze at the 15 minute mark) Then, rest for 20 minutes with another glaze. Done this for St. Louis style and baby back. Bite clean through to the bone and delicious every time.

@Simarti28 I actually have one bottle of Heath Riles rub that was given to us at Academy. I’ve not even opened it yet, as my wife is not a fan of very spicy rubs. He does know his stuff when it comes to competition BBQ.
View attachment 8858
My wife is the same. I use a layer of Recteq’s Honey Rib Rub and a layer of Killer Hogs The BBQ Rub. These 2 together punch some good flavor without the heat.

Attachments

• 39ECF995-343A-418B-BFA0-6187C4B8D734.png
    39ECF995-343A-418B-BFA0-6187C4B8D734.png
    10.3 MB · Views: 76
  • 4BE1DF18-3556-4D36-92D3-FF688DBA874F.png
    4BE1DF18-3556-4D36-92D3-FF688DBA874F.png
    5 MB · Views: 85
@ken g nailed it. Exactly how I do mine. I do use a probe now. Thermoworks makes what they call a needle probe and it is designed specifically for ribs and it works great.

I still do the bend test but the probe is nice for ballpark.

Also how are you trimming up your ribs? When I first started out years ago smoking ribs I never knew you had to pull the silver skin off the ribs and they always came out exactly how you explained how yours came out...

This Link has an amazing explanation on how to smoke ribs..

https://amazingribs.com/best-barbecue-ribs-recipe
What is the BEND test?

Checkout Amazingribs.com regarding smoking ribs both BB and Spare.
I no longer wrap. Spritzing makes no difference just extends your cook time and prevents good bark formation on the ribs. Use the bend test and toothpick test to determine when the ribs are tender. Temp is not a good indicator as it can vary at different parts of the slab.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back