Baby back fail

MikeyB

Premium Member!
Premium Member
Grill(s) owned
  1. Bull
Did my first rack of 3-2-1 baby backs yesterday. Everything started off great, but could not get them to finish.
Here’s what I did
-8 am , pulled membrane and seasoned , let sit for 2 hours
-10 am on the Bull set at 225 degrees, along with water pan.
-spritzed with apple juice every hour.
-1 pm, pulled them off to wrap in foil with butter, honey, apple juice, back on the Bull
-3 pm, pulled and unwrapped , smelled and looked great, checked internal temp and was around 175-180 or so.
-3pm back on the Bull and added bbq sauce. Grill remained at 225 , ribs remained for at least an hour and a half.
- Could not get the IT temp above 150-160. Sliced into them and they still needed more time, still pink, had a slight bend to them as well.
They never got probe tender, I wound up pulling them off and through them on my blacktop to finish them off.
What did I do wrong? Not high enough pit temp?, did not allow for more cooking time?

Thanks guys

Last edited:
I personally don't use a thermometer for ribs (perhaps I should) but use time, temperature, and the meat starting to pull back on bones. Some use the "bend test" to see if the meat is done.

Don't give up, try again!

Depending on the rib size, for BB's I usually go 2-2-1 at 225. After the last hour mark, I then look for the bend. If they're not bending, they will stay on longer. I never spritz and don't use a water pan. Keep the lid closed and let the exterior develop some crust to it. They will collect enough moisture when wrapped.

The water pan (unnecessary anyway) may have been messing with the PID sensor and your pit was running too "cold"......3-2-1 is usually too long for BBs, that's intended for spares. Under cooked would indicate under temp.
You could be right, I had the water pan on the left hand side of the pit, next to the thermometer.
I’ll be sure to leave the pan out the next time and will definitely do the 2-2-1 method.
Thanks for your help

Depending on the rib size, for BB's I usually go 2-2-1 at 225. After the last hour mark, I then look for the bend. If they're not bending, they will stay on longer. I never spritz and don't use a water pan. Keep the lid closed and let the exterior develop some crust to it. They will collect enough moisture when wrapped.
Will definitely use this.
thanks Bytor.

Only had my Bull two years and still learning. So FWI when I do ribs I use baby back and the 3-2-1 method also. I do cook a little higher at 250 with out any water or drip pan. After 3 hours I wrap mine in foil with some brown sugar and apple juice, raise the temperature to 275 and cook for 2 hours. I remove the foil, reduce temperature to 250 and place the ribs back on the grill. After 30 minutes I put on my barbecue sauce and cook an additional 30 minutes. Again, this is just how I do my ribs and am happy with the results. You'll get it down.

Did 3-2-1 yesterday. 225 for the first 3 hours, 250 for the last 3. Turned out well.
I was thinking of upping the temp as well but decided to let it roll.
For the record I was very pleased with the way the Bull performed. Held 225 like a rock, fan is very quiet, and the aroma from the ribs and the pellets was awesome.
A great thing about this site is that everyone likes to share their experiences for others to learn. Good stuff

The difference between 225 and 250 can mean extra cook time. Even moreso when starting a cook on LO for extra smoke.

I also wonder about variations in size of ribs. The ones I typically buy at the wholesale club are much bigger than some I see at the supermarket, and will take longer to cook no matter what.

I agree with UB's theory that the water pan may have influenced the PID probe.

As for cooking time, I recommend you not use it as the determination that any meat is done. Keep bbq'ing until the meat is tender. Use the pull test on ribs as well as visual cues.

Spritz/baste ribs a couple times at least an hour into the cook to get the surface to build a desired bark. Once the surface is moist looking, let it cook.

You might also try running ribs straight thru without a wrap. They are less moist, generally smokier, and have a slight crust, but still very good. I like them both ways.

I have also done ribs over an open fire on my fire pit with a cooking grate a few times and they always turned out great using the 3-2-1 method, on a rib rack, no wrap, over a water pan, etc.
This is my first pellet grill experience and will definitely need to experiment a few times and have more patience for sure to get the hang of it better.

My ribs and other meats get a dry surface on the lean meat areas, so I baste or spritz with a little veggie oil in a water or juice base, plus some rub and sometimes some sugar to promote bark.

I hadn't seen that dry surface when bbq'ing with charcoal or my stickburner. Anyone else get that dry look?

read often that a water pan near temp probe is A BIG NO NO - steam makes PID think its hot while meat is seeing low heat
225 for me
maybe 1-2 spritz

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back