Baby Back 3-2-1 vs 2-2-1

FTRecTec

Grill(s) owned
  1. Bull
  2. Bullseye
Anybody have strong feelings about doing one or the other technique on baby backs?

I’ve done lots of 2-2-1 but that was on a smoker that ran hotter than what we can control on our Recs.

Smoking up some ribs today and was going to do 2-2-1 with the wrap in butcher paper (first time trying not wrapping with foil). Was gonna do the whole thing at 225 but am open to changing temps at the different phases is others have found success increasing at the end.

I do not wrap my ribs anymore. Cook at 225 until done. Lightly sauce the last 30 minutes or so. If I am pinched for time I will raise the temp up to 275-300 to quicken the cook. Ribs come out extremely moist and delicious.
Do you take the membrane off? Do you flip your ribs any? Do you do bend test or temp goal to rest time?

Hey charles, yes I do remove the membrane. Since I usually only cook 3-4 racks at a time, taking the membrane off is not really an issue from a time perspective. I do not flip the ribs, they stay bone side down the entire cook. If I remember, after 45 minutes (ones the rub is set) I spritz with apple juice and apple cider vinegar mixture every hour. When I see some pull back on the bone I do the bend test to determine if the ribs are at the point to sauce.

Hey charles, yes I do remove the membrane. Since I usually only cook 3-4 racks at a time, taking the membrane off is not really an issue from a time perspective. I do not flip the ribs, they stay bone side down the entire cook. If I remember, after 45 minutes (ones the rub is set) I spritz with apple juice and apple cider vinegar mixture every hour. When I see some pull back on the bone I do the bend test to determine if the ribs are at the point to sauce.
So no temp goal at all, just bend test for doneness? I have never heard of pulling the membrane off till I joined this forum. I guess there is a reason for taking it off. I like the membrane and also can't stand to pick up a rib and the meat falls off. I like to bite it off. I have never sprayed ribs before too. I am a true rookie cook and pellet griller. LOL Thanks for the rib info.

I don't wrap, either. 225 till done. Pulling the membrane is the standard practice in smoking. The membrane prevents fat from rendering out during the cook. It peels right off once you get it started. A sharp knife, a butter knife, and a paper towel are all you need. For ribs, the closeness of the bones make temp targets too unreliable, and why the bend test works so well. Edit to add: with the membrane removed, the meat shouldn't fall off the bone. If it does, they are overcooked and/or were likely parboiled.

I don't wrap, either. 225 till done. Pulling the membrane is the standard practice in smoking. The membrane prevents fat from rendering out during the cook. It peels right off once you get it started. A sharp knife, a butter knife, and a paper towel are all you need. For ribs, the closeness of the bones make temp targets too unreliable, and why the bend test works so well.
Thanks @DarkStar11

The only 2 caveats for me is if I am cooking for someone in particular that 1)wants it wrapped and 2)that wants the membrane left on. The one that "loves" the membrane on i think is just being stubborn but he requests it that way to thats the way it get cooked. Otherwise i dont care to wrap anything, ribs, brisket, pork butt nada. I monitor temp but dont cook to a temp doneness. Will use bend as well but alas i rarely cooks babyback anymore, spareribs are preferred.

Last edited:
Well it looks like people preferred unwrapped.

Cooked 2-2-about 1.5....

Both were quite delicious and I can see how depending on my mood I might very well prefer wrapped one weekend but then decide I want unwrapped another.

I’d say taste was equivalent but it was more about texture. Wrapped was definitely a little softer where unwrapped had a bit more bark and tug.

What is the purpose of leaving the membrane on?

I've come to learn (recently) that some folks like it. Some folks don't know that it ought to (in most people's opinion, I think) be removed. At restaurants that leave it on, I assume it's because they are too lazy to remove it. I only order ribs from those places once.

The membrane doesn't have to be removed. I actually think it provides a nice textural contrast. In a hot and fast cooked rib, it can get very tough, but I don't find that to be the case if you're going low and slow for 6 hours.

By and large, I do not wrap my ribs anymore and I go until they crack and probe tender. I most often do full spares because I like the tips and I usually push 7 hours at 225. I've compromised on the membrane and do not remove it, but rather score through it both horizontally and diagonally so it breaks down a little more.

I made 4 racks.... all 2-2-1 today. Two I wrapped and two not wrapped.... stay tuned as to what our guests preferred...
I have only done wrapped ribs so far. When I wrap them, I add butter, honey, and brown sugar. When you skip the wrap, do you also skip the butter, honey, and brown sugar?

Thanks. Next question then...what would the steps of a 2-2-1 rib smoke be if there is no wrap? Do you change temp after 2 hours, and again after the next 2 hours?
All the various 3-2-1 or 2-2-1 rib methods normally describe the same temp for the entire cook, with a wrap occurring in the middle. If you are not wrapping and then finishing unwrapped, it’s something different.

What Greg said. If you wanted to do a 2-2-1 but not wrap, it'd just be a 5 at whatever temp you choose. Or in reality, a 5ish.

These are my two dead-perfect baby back methods.

Pork Ribs:

Texas Style
  • Rub: 2:1 pepper to salt, garlic powder, onion powder, paprika, chili powder (EVOO binder)
  • Temp: 260, smoke tube, water pan
  • Unwrapped 3 hrs
  • Spritz Apple cider vinegar occasionally
  • Create thinned half bbq sauce half apple cider sauce, put on ribs at the 2:30 mark
  • Wrapped for 3 hours with good dose of thinned sauce, meat side down, throw on pat of butter or two
  • Rest 30 minutes
Sweet South
  • Rub: Porkasaurus (EVOO binder)
  • Temp 260
  • Unwrapped 3 hours
  • Create foil bed of brown sugar, butter and honey, then again on membrane side — meat side down
  • Tightly wrap for 2 hours
  • Loosely foil tent 1 hours
  • Rest 30 mins

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WKMCD
Back