B-380 Lid Hinge

Bmc.ret

Military Veteran
Grill(s) owned
  1. Bullseye
Have any of you B-380 owners had trouble closing the lid because of the hinge binding? When the lid is open I pull straight up on the handle in order to close it, it will not close otherwise. It is binding somehow and I am afraid of breaking the hinge or warping the lid or barrel. I double checked, the hinge is installed properly. I left an email with support, hopefully they will get back to Monday. If a hinge only lasts two weeks then there is a problem, a real weak point on the grill.

Interesting, mine has been like this since day one. Just always figured I needed to lift up to close it and never thought twice about it. almost like it locks it in place so it doesn't accidentally close, I kind of like it actually.

Although not related, I recently bought a B380 and had trouble screwing on the hinges because the bore holes were too big on the hinge. I called Recteq and the hinges are on back order.

well that sounds like a good idea but I could not find that anywhere nor did anyone I talked to at Recteq this morning mention any thing like that. I will call them tomorrow and ask that very question and get this settled for sure. Go Cougs!

What Zueth stated is in fact a true thing. I called Recteq this a.m. and the rep said that is how the hinge works; When open you have pull up slightly on the lid to get it out of the upright position. It would be nice if that was stated in the user's guide. My problem though was for the first couple of days that I used the grill it opened and closed without doing that. Every day is a learning experience.

So to get this straight, everyone's hinge requires them to pull up to close the lid? I'm having the same issue. Didn't do it initially but now it binds. Talked to RecTeq this morning. They said the hinge screws were over-tightened (no mention of this being intentional). Loosened the screws but still binds. Not sure why it didn't do this initially if it's supposed to bind. Seems weird that you'd have to lean over a 700 degree grill to close the lid (or walk around to the back every time you close the lid). Other than this I've been happy with the grill. Ready to try some more recipes.

I just assembled my bullseye, I tightened the screws and the lid did not fully close, backed off the screws about a half, 3/4 turn and the lid closes nice and tight, will adjust again now that it is burned in.

OK, so the black bolt that goes through the hinge was over-tightened from the factory. I loosed that bolt a bit and it works fine now. One of the holes the bolt goes through is a bit too large so when you open the lid the weight of the lid drops the bolt and it isn't straight so it binds.
If you don't want it to bind you should be able to loosen that a bit and it should open without binding. RecTeq recommended putting some lube around where the bolt contacts the bracket (I noticed you could feel the metal on metal grinding when closing it. Should be good to go now.
When I spoke with them this morning maybe they meant the black bolt was over-tightened but I specifically asked him if he was talking about the six bolts.
Thanks!

So to get this straight, everyone's hinge requires them to pull up to close the lid? I'm having the same issue. Didn't do it initially but now it binds. Talked to RecTeq this morning. They said the hinge screws were over-tightened (no mention of this being intentional). Loosened the screws but still binds. Not sure why it didn't do this initially if it's supposed to bind. Seems weird that you'd have to lean over a 700 degree grill to close the lid (or walk around to the back every time you close the lid). Other than this I've been happy with the grill. Ready to try some more recipes.
No

Although not related, I recently bought a B380 and had trouble screwing on the hinges because the bore holes were too big on the hinge. I called Recteq and the hinges are on back order.
Just put mine together last night and have the same issue. Delays my gameday fun today. I left a message and sent an email, going to lowes to see if there are any screws that fit the bigger Holes on the hinge.

Just put mine together last night and have the same issue. Delays my gameday fun today. I left a message and sent an email, going to lowes to see if there are any screws that fit the bigger Holes on the hinge.
If you have an Ace Hardware near, that may be a better choice. I’ve always found the BORG stores to be hit or miss on metric hardware, while Ace has a much better selection.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back