Auger Fire and Pellet Hopper Screen

When I first got my 590 and shutdown from 400 I went back and saw a flicker of flame in the bottom. Pulled the insides out and there was a flame coming out of the auger tube. Recteq CS guy I talked to said he shuts down from high temp all the time with no issues but im not gonna make that mistake again and risk a hopper fire. I bring the temp down to 250 before shutting it down. Doesn't waste much pellets at all. I like Yoders pellet feed system, the auger and firepot aren't connected. They drop down from above into the firepot. I wish recteq had that style. But I don't use my 590 for high temp cooking. Still using an old faithful weber kettle for that.

Newbie to Recteq ownership- RT-590. Cooked pizzas at 500 degrees and hit power button when finished. Opened lid after 15-20 mins to help cool down. Came back after another 20 mins to smoke coming out of the pellet hopper. Scared the s$&t out of me. Removed hopper screen and pellets and turned temp up to burn the rest of the pellets in the auger. After some research here, am I safe with shutdown from high heat cooks after I run grill on low temp setting for 15-20 mins? Is screen in pellet hopper a necessity? PS- I really like the way my 590 cooks. Thanks
When smoke comes out of the pellet hooper I have found the reason in most cases is that the firepot is filled with ashes causing the smoke to back up.

I haven’t looked at the screen too carefully. Is it hard to remove? I’d like to to make swapping out pellets easier.

Be sure to put something over the auger to prevent screws from ending up in the drive, or have a magnet or grappler handy.

How do I know this????

I plugged the screw holes w/ the red RT goo. I wanted to make sure a sheet metal screw didn't come loose down the road and jam the auger.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back