Auger Fire and Pellet Hopper Screen

verneandmist

Newbie to Recteq ownership- RT-590. Cooked pizzas at 500 degrees and hit power button when finished. Opened lid after 15-20 mins to help cool down. Came back after another 20 mins to smoke coming out of the pellet hopper. Scared the s$&t out of me. Removed hopper screen and pellets and turned temp up to burn the rest of the pellets in the auger. After some research here, am I safe with shutdown from high heat cooks after I run grill on low temp setting for 15-20 mins? Is screen in pellet hopper a necessity? PS- I really like the way my 590 cooks. Thanks

I typically lower my temp down to 250 for 20 minutes or so after a hot cook and have not had any problems. Some folks set the temp to the Lo setting.

I seared a roast @500* the other day then turned it down to 225* The fan went into intermittent operation while it was coming down. Shortly after smoke started coming out the hopper. I could still hear the fire burning so I left it alone and the smoke from the hopper eventually went away.
Yes, I removed the screen from the hopper 'cause I run it down far enough to push all the dust into the auger before refilling. I also vac all the ash out, change the foil and clean out the grease trough and tube at this time

I too will reduce the temp for awhile before shutting the grill off after a hot cook. I also would question the practice of opening the lid open to help cool off the grill. That just seems to me as if it could act just like blowing on the cooling embers of a fire, which can result in the fire restarting.

I have never had an issue but will lower temp before shutting down.

Sound advice, thanks. After a hot cook, I will be turning my 590 down to Low and letting it run for 15-20 mins- cheap insurance. Any of you think of a good reason for the screen in the pellet hopper? Maybe to keep large chunks of stuck together pellets from getting down to auger? This prolly won’t be the last time this rookie asks for assistance here. Again, thank you all.

The screen/grate in the pellet hopper is probably there to prevent anyone from getting their fingers in the auger. Most of us have taken it out.

I seared a roast @500* the other day then turned it down to 225* The fan went into intermittent operation while it was coming down. Shortly after smoke started coming out the hopper. I could still hear the fire burning so I left it alone and the smoke from the hopper eventually went away.
Yes, I removed the screen from the hopper 'cause I run it down far enough to push all the dust into the auger before refilling. I also vac all the ash out, change the foil and clean out the grease trough and tube at this time
In my case I didn't want to shut it down, just reduce the temp to finish grilling the roast.

I, too, took out the hopper screen per helpful suggestions in this forum. However, I ended up putting some aluminum tape over the screw holes to keep pellet dust from falling into the controls below, and just set the screen back in as an easily-removable reminder not to stick my paws in there.

I, too, took out the hopper screen per helpful suggestions in this forum. However, I ended up putting some aluminum tape over the screw holes to keep pellet dust from falling into the controls below, and just set the screen back in as an easily-removable reminder not to stick my paws in there.
Hi neighbor 👋

Howdy Chris G! I noticed you're also here in NoVa. Love your posts. Since we're so close we'll have to compare & share notes once Covid has passed (fingers crossed).
@Mannydog ,
Sounds like a plan! This Covid stuff has really changed everything, I work at the airport and can hardly wait for normal.

Put the screws back in the holes.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back