Trailblazer Are you happy with 340?

JasonT

Grill(s) owned
  1. Trailblazer
So after 2 years of waiting for spouse approval, i finally ordered my Recteq. I went with the 340 and I am anxiously awaiting its arrival. Does anyone regret not ordering a larger model? Most times it's just the 2 of us, so i couldn't justify the larger one.

Well, I have a Bull in my lower outdoor kitchen and in December we bought a RT-340 that sits on the deck just outside my indoor kitchen. I cook for the two of us on it almost daily. In the past two weeks I’ve smoked a pork butt, two racks of ribs, spatchcocked a chicken on two evenings, a Mississippi pot roast, and last night I had two cast iron skillets in there at the same time making taco meat and refried beans. I have a Bullseye right beside it and at times I’m using both at once, but that has more to do with needing two different cooking temps than space. Now when one or more of the kids are here, it gets pretty cramped but for two people it’s near perfect.

The 340 was my first purchase. I was concerned with doing a turkey but was introduced to the spatchcock method, which is great btw. About 8 months later I got the 700 and took the 340 to our house in AZ. I love the 700 but when chance arose I got the Bullseye. I love that for hot and fast and use the 700 for slow cooking. All of them work as an oven so you don't have to heat up the house when it's hot outside. Either way you won't regret it.

I bought my 340 back in May of last year and it’s legitimately been the best purchase I’ve ever made! I use it probably twice a week. Mainly for meal prep (big batches of chicken breast or chicken thighs) and also for some longer cooks on the weekends such as pork butts, ribs, Tri tip, and wings! You’re gonna absolutely love it. I don’t usually do this, but I have an Instagram where I post pics of my food that was cooked on my RT340 with some temps and times, so if you’re interested, check it out! @beardedburrobbq cheers!

The 340 was my first purchase. I was concerned with doing a turkey but was introduced to the spatchcock method, which is great btw. About 8 months later I got the 700 and took the 340 to our house in AZ. I love the 700 but when chance arose I got the Bullseye. I love that for hot and fast and use the 700 for slow cooking. All of them work as an oven so you don't have to heat up the house when it's hot outside. Either way you won't regret it.
Whereabouts in AZ? I'm in Gilbert

I've had my 340 since November of 2019 and it has been great. I got the extra rack for the inside and have used it on occasion. I usually cook for a family of 5, with an occasional friend over to eat and it has never let me down. Yeah, I was on the fence with this and bigger, but I'm happy with what I decided. If I had gone larger, most of the time I would be heating up empty pit space. The nice thing about the 340 is that it takes so little of time to get to temp.

I have my first cook going on my new 340 right now. I'm digging the remote start and accurate control so far. I think it's pretty much the perfect size (also just two of us). I'll be able to do a packer brisket though, and probably two decent sized butts if needed (which could feed ~30 people).

Well, I have a Bull in my lower outdoor kitchen and in December we bought a RT-340 that sits on the deck just outside my indoor kitchen. I cook for the two of us on it almost daily. In the past two weeks I’ve smoked a pork butt, two racks of ribs, spatchcocked a chicken on two evenings, a Mississippi pot roast, and last night I had two cast iron skillets in there at the same time making taco meat and refried beans. I have a Bullseye right beside it and at times I’m using both at once, but that has more to do with needing two different cooking temps than space. Now when one or more of the kids are here, it gets pretty cramped but for two people it’s near perfect.
Sounds like I should just move nextdoor to you. Thanks for the info.

I've had the RT-340 for about 3 weeks. My first pellet grill or smoker. Absolutely love how it cooks. It is way better than my expensive Wilmington grill that is twice the price. For 2 people it is great. It can be a little challenging when using the grill and the searing plates at the same time. Other than that, I'd do it again. Enjoy!!

The only time I've run into issues, size wise, is the door clearance is fairly low. I measured it at 6.5", although RT shows it being 7". Could not fit a 9 lb in it. So it ends up where it works 95% of the time for the 2 of us, but it's too small when we have company. Would have liked to do last weekends ham and turkey in it, but couldn't. The turkey went in the smoker and the ham on the gasser.

A big full packer or 2 butts just about fill the smoker. I haven't tried more then 1 rack of ribs but it looks like 2 would work, any more then that and I'd break out the rib rack.

So after 2 years of waiting for spouse approval, i finally ordered my Recteq. I went with the 340 and I am anxiously awaiting its arrival. Does anyone regret not ordering a larger model? Most times it's just the 2 of us, so i couldn't justify the larger one.
I’ve owned my 340 for 18 months now and just got my 700 yesterday. It’s just the wife and I at home. It works great for two people when making steak, a couple racks of ribs, personal pizza etc, BUT...It’s not the ideal size for doing a large batch of jerky, more than a pound of bacon, beer can chicken, and it barely fit our 12 lb. turkey but it did fit!

The biggest issue when you’re trying to load it up full is the front and back edges. There’s about 1/2” front and back where there is a gap between the grill and the drip pan. You have to be careful what you put there, even during low and slow cooks because that’s where all of the heat comes up. I’ve overcooked some things that were too close to the edges.

Get yourself a couple shelves, I recommend the GrillPro 14625 Universal Chrome Warming Racks from Amazon. They fit perfectly and are less than half the price as one shelf from recteq.

I threw in some pictures of what the grill is capable of. 12# turkey, 13# full packer brisket, and a picture with the shelves installed.

E8ACDB05-1AE7-42B1-8FFA-390E256D0A18.jpeg
DD933B4E-6006-4A1A-9324-D4B245D384B7.jpeg

Attachments

• EF4037EB-0FE9-4728-8659-7F3BE0779FCE.jpeg
    EF4037EB-0FE9-4728-8659-7F3BE0779FCE.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 115
  • 6AFBBB5A-7A00-4A67-9B08-6301335F4F13.jpeg
    6AFBBB5A-7A00-4A67-9B08-6301335F4F13.jpeg
    3.7 MB · Views: 111
I have had the 340 for a few weeks now and like it very much. I had the small Traeger for about 8 years. I very seldom cook for more than two but have cooked for 6 on the Traeger. I would never use the space of a larger grill.

I’ve owned my 340 for 18 months now and just got my 700 yesterday. It’s just the wife and I at home. It works great for two people when making steak, a couple racks of ribs, personal pizza etc, BUT...It’s not the ideal size for doing a large batch of jerky, more than a pound of bacon, beer can chicken, and it barely fit our 12 lb. turkey but it did fit!

The biggest issue when you’re trying to load it up full is the front and back edges. There’s about 1/2” front and back where there is a gap between the grill and the drip pan. You have to be careful what you put there, even during low and slow cooks because that’s where all of the heat comes up. I’ve overcooked some things that were too close to the edges.

Get yourself a couple shelves, I recommend the GrillPro 14625 Universal Chrome Warming Racks from Amazon. They fit perfectly and are less than half the price as one shelf from recteq.

I threw in some pictures of what the grill is capable of. 12# turkey, 13# full packer brisket, and a picture with the shelves installed.

View attachment 9456View attachment 9457
Could I ask where you got your shallow pan from. Fits perfect.
Thanks !

Could I ask where you got your shallow pan from. Fits perfect.
Thanks !
I got it from Kroger. It’s a disposable foil cookie sheet. Works great for catching drippings to make gravy. It did get super hot though so if you do plan to make a gravy I’d recommend pouring some broth or water in the pan before cooking.

Whereabouts in AZ? I'm in Gilbert
Sorry I didn't see your reply until tonight. Our house is just outside Queen Creek. We are in San Tan Valley even though I can almost see the new firehouse QK is building. I can see Banner Medical. We are in The Parks.

Sorry I didn't see your reply until tonight. Our house is just outside Queen Creek. We are in San Tan Valley even though I can almost see the new firehouse QK is building. I can see Banner Medical. We are in The Parks.
Nice, just a stones throw away. Any questions needed please feel free to ask.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MuddyBill
Back