Are 2 butts better then 1?

Gonefishin

Premium Member!
Premium Member
Military Veteran
Grill(s) owned
  1. Trailblazer
I cook for 2, when I do a butt I end up with dinner the night of the cook and 3 or 4 packs for the freezer, which lasts us a month or so, I'm thinking about doing 2 butts just because there is room and I've got the smoker going anyway. Can you think of a down side to having 7 or 8 bags of frozen pulled pork? it'll last us for at least 2 months.

If it matters, I use the microwave to reheat.

I cook for 2, when I do a butt I end up with dinner the night of the cook and 3 or 4 packs for the freezer, which lasts us a month or so, I'm thinking about doing 2 butts just because there is room and I've got the smoker going anyway. Can you think of a down side to having 7 or 8 bags of frozen pulled pork? it'll last us for at least 2 months.

If it matters, I use the microwave to reheat.
If you don't mind leftovers, why not?

I've done the same (cook 2 at a time) a few times, myself, and the only downside I've found is missing out on smoking another pork butt because there's still some in the freezer! Not that that should stop us, of course. 🐷🐷🤣

so long as these are vacuum packed - they last at least a year. I always smoke a Costco 2 pack of buts and being able to pull smoked pulled pork out for meals is dreamy!

With the arrival of winter in New England I won't miss skipping a couple cooks.

No reason not to, and plenty of reasons to...the only thing I do different is the reheating. Microwave good and fast but sous vide gets ideal serving temp, and timing for plating is whenever you want it. I sous vide the vacuum-packed pork for about 45-60 min at about 145*. Good stuff.

I have a little FoodSaver FM2000 and vacuum package all sorts of things.

Smoked Turkey 1/4's, chicken thighs, pulled pork, sous vide leg of lamb, etc. Even green coffee beans for roasting.

Wife thought "just another toy" when I got it but now is a convert.

My thought is it does not take any more time or pellets to smoke two pork butts than smoking one, so why not? We vacuum package 2 and 4 serving portions and put them in the chest freezer. It has been raining for about four straight days now and the pulled pork smoked in August was a treat on last Friday night.

Another upside w/ the vacuum packing if you like rare or med-rare meat, is if you have a sous vide you can re-heat to the desired doneness temp in the vacuum bag and not lose the medium rare doneness or moisture.

I'll usually end up with a couple of bags going into the freezer for later use. They come in hand for quick lunches and dinners on short notice.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back