App Set Temp vs. Controller Set Temp problem

Waterboy

Lifetime Premium!
Premium Member
Grill(s) owned
  1. Bull
  2. Bullseye
I was doing a reverse seer tri-tip tonight and ran into what I think is a bug in the app. I turned my 700 on using the app, set the temp to 250 and let it warm up. I put the tri-tip on when the pit temp was at 250. Once the tri-tip hit 120 I took it off and used the knob on the controller to increase the temp to 475 to try my first reverse seer (I‘be had the Bull for about a week). I checked my app later and it still showed 250 set temp but 475 actual temp.

I thought the app screen just didn’t update for some reason but it did concern me because it could look like temps were way out of control. When I was done with the seer I tapped on the set temp on my app screen and the controller immediately dropped to 245.

Has anyone else had this problem? If so, and if there is a fix in the settings please let me know. I plan to call RT in the morning unless someone tells me how to remedy the issue.

Ive had it happen several times where I might start the pit from my phone then adjust it at the unit but then check the temp from my phone and it resets the temp to what it was previously. Since I know it does it I just try to be mindful of it or just do all my adjustments from my phone

Thanks Fhughes. I think I’ll let them know tomorrow. Seems like it shouldn’t be difficult to fix through an update of the app. In the meantime I’ll probably just pick one way or the other to control my cook.

Most certainly let them know. I haven't experienced anything like that but will watch. Thanks. . .

I called RT supportmand I’ve done a little more research on the specifics on the issue.

RT told me to close out the app and restart it when I have the problem. Doesn’t seem like a fix but that’s what I’ll have to do.

In my additional research I found that I can turn the app on by the phone and if I make temp adjustments from the controller they are reflected on my app. If I make a temp adjustment from my phone after start up, then go back to the controller and make a temp adjustment, it does not update my app.

I’m on a iPhone XR running iOS ver. 13.6. Can someone run the scenario above and let me know if you get the same results?

I called RT supportmand I’ve done a little more research on the specifics on the issue.

RT told me to close out the app and restart it when I have the problem. Doesn’t seem like a fix but that’s what I’ll have to do.

In my additional research I found that I can turn the app on by the phone and if I make temp adjustments from the controller they are reflected on my app. If I make a temp adjustment from my phone after start up, then go back to the controller and make a temp adjustment, it does not update my app.

I’m on a iPhone XR running iOS ver. 13.6. Can someone run the scenario above and let me know if you get the same results?
Thanks for posting the update from what Rec Tec said to do when using iOS.

I am having the same issue. This started when the Alarms began working on my app. I’m using the IPhone 11 Pro Max. It started I think when they updated the app

I just got my grill last week so I don’t have the frame of reference that you do. I would say call RT support. That fact that you didn’t have the problem before but now do may make a difference. You’ll likely get the same answer I did but they need to hear more people are having the issue.

The app IS undoubtedly buggy. I've had my 700 for a couple weeks now and for the first week and hours of messing with my router, it wouldn't connect. All of a sudden, it connected yesterday. If RecTec reads any of these forums, I certainly wish they put a temp alarm on it. I have to continually watch for a160 temp to wrap butt, then watch again until I got my desired 200 temp.

The app IS undoubtedly buggy. I've had my 700 for a couple weeks now and for the first week and hours of messing with my router, it wouldn't connect. All of a sudden, it connected yesterday. If RecTec reads any of these forums, I certainly wish they put a temp alarm on it. I have to continually watch for a160 temp to wrap butt, then watch again until I got my desired 200 temp.
You can set the Rec Tec meat probes to alert you at any temperature you set it to, I use the Rec Tec meat probes to get me to the top of the 7th inning of the cook and then start checking things with my Thermoworks MK4 to get to my final temperature and probe feel.

The app does have temp alarms, for the pit temp and both probes. Look under Settings>Alarms in the app.

Edited to add, I posted as @Mastertech59 did but I’ll leave it here anyway.

The app does have temp alarms, for the pit temp and both probes. Look under Settings>Alarms in the app.
Hi Greg. Please provide more info. My app says I am running most up to date version and the only alarms in the settings are for probe a and prob b. I do not see an alarm setting for the pit. The app does push notifications for outside of 10’ of set temp but don’t seem to be able to adjust those settings. If there is a way to do it, please post.
Thanks
Edited to add, I posted as @Mastertech59 did but I’ll leave it here anyway.

I double check and can only set temp probes alarm, not the pit temp. There are automatic push notifications for pit temp reached and/or deviations. So that technically is an alarm I suppose.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Latest posts

Back