Anyone using the RT-340?

Jim6820

The Crazy Ol’ Basque!
Lifetime Premium!
Premium Member
Military Veteran
Grill(s) owned
  1. Trailblazer
I know the RT-340 is a smaller unit, but is still big enough for a small turkey, full brisket, etc. With just the two of us at our house, it works very well for us. I’m working on a wheel modification (similar to what I’ve seen for the RT-590/700) to make it a bit easier to move around.

Would love to compare notes with other RT-340 users.

For grilling large items I'll suggest swapping ends with it as I found grilling bacon the right side is some hotter. I've never checked grill temps on different spots just sayin' my experience with the bacon.

2 of us here too. The only thing I run into is the headroom is fairly low when I put in a 12 lb turkey breast. If I put the bird in an aluminum pan on a small rack, the top of the 8 lb breast just clears the door opening. Yes a full packer fits, at least the 13 pounders I've done do. FWIW, I got a 12 lb breast, and a small 6 lb ham in there together, they just fit. I did one full turkey when I first got the grill, I did it spatchcocked but do not remember how big it was.

Might want to setup the bird once thawed however you want to cook it and measure so you know it'll go in the opening before you commit.

On edit, after reading Stonebreakers post. Mine runs about 25 degrees hotter on the rt side.

I think this member of the RT family does not get enough love :)
I agree! For us, this is a capable little pellet grill/smoker. And, it fits in one of our motorhome storage bays, so it can go on the road with us. What’s not to like about that?

As for hot spots, I’ve never found a grill or smoker of any kind that didn’t have a temperature variance someplace. You just have to learn to work with them.

Been using mine for two years now, with a family of five. I bought the extra rack that works great for ribs and extra stuff. I've done turkey breasts a bunch and a couple whole ones that were around 12 or so pounds, spatchcocked. Height can be an issue at times, although I have smoked everything on it that I set out to. Did a full packer that was just at 15 lbs easily. Definitely suggest rotating the meat around the halfway mark though. These are hotter on the right side than left. However, they take very little time to get to temp and hold on to it quite well. Makes the pellets go a long way.

I own a 340 and Love it. It's just the wife and me. Mostly grill fish on it. Have several of those grill mats. Turn it on with the app, season the fish, and wait until the fish hits 155 degrees. We don't eat very much meat, but I have done bb ribs, beef back ribs, ribeye steaks, chicken thighs and more. I want to do a brisket, and dino beef ribs. Just haven't found the at the right price and time at the store. It's really not that small of a grill for 2. Works every time. holds temps well. The app even works.

Hotter on the right had to recalibrate mine (it was off 25+degrees)after the app update on the phone
(which I hate) setting the temp from the phone is difficult I prefer the + and -
temp setting adjustment method.(please bring it back)

I don't really notice hot spots on mine. It pretty much mirrors my thermoworks thermometers. I've done up to 20lbs briskets which is about it's limit. Works great for smaller smokes and is much easier to control temps. It's my go to smoker for 95% of my grilling. The only time I bring out my 700 is when I have the family and friends over and I'm doing baby back ribs. In those times the 340 just doesn't have the area needed. There are times I even have both smokers going because I'll have 9+ racks going. It's a great combo to have if you can swing for two grills. I see no point in the 1250 as it's just another 700 with an extra rack. You could add another rack to the 700 and save yourself the cost.

I did pork belly bacon today. The right side of the grill is about 10-15 cooler so swapped sides with the 2 pieces so use a thermometer to check grill temps if that is important to your cook

I built a little caddy from scraps of wood on the farm with casters to move mine in and out of the garage. Will say I used zip ties and eye bolts by the legs to keep it steady on the platform. It’s super easy to move now.

I have a RT-340 that I found the temperature to be hotter than what is shown on the screen. I bought a thermometer with thermocouples. I put one thermocouple thru each exhaust port & clamp them with clothes pins. Using the thermocouples I found my grill runs between 20 & 30degrees hotter on the right side. The temperatures also varies widely from what shows on the screen. I use this thermometer to control the temperature of the grill. I don't pay much attention to the temp shown on the screen. This is the one I use. Sure helped me with temperature control.

Kamtop Digital Thermometer Dual Channel Thermometer with Two K- type Thermocouples Temperature Meter with LCD Backlight for K/ J/ T/ E/ R/ S/ N Thermocouple​

It is pretty well known that the RT-340 (and other similar Recteq grills) run a bit hotter on the right side. My experience, however is that the difference is more in the 10-15 degree range. My RT-340 is about 12 degrees different.

As for the temperature varying “widely” from that shown on the controller, you can do an offset to bring it back into line, if needed. That said, I’m not sure your test method is giving you a true inside temperature. You are measuring at the very top of the cooking chamber where heat accumulates but that’s not where you cook. You really need to measure the temperature about an inch above the grilling surface.

I use one of these…

https://www.thermoworks.com/signals/

…to check the interior temperature and my RT-340 comes pretty close to being spot-on without calibrating. The 4-channel ThermoWorks Signal comes with a specific probe and clip set designed to measure grill surface temperature.

You might want to find a way to set your thermocouples up to measure the temperature just above the grill grid surface where the cooking is done.

Last edited:
Mine also has the right side about 25 degrees hotter then the left. I try and remember to flip the food somewhere around the midpoint, but when I forget I really can't notice on the finished product.

Mine varies quite a bit too but not enough to cause me concern after starting on a Weber Smokey Mtn. Maybe the RT does not sample near as much as a good 3rd party thermometer, or they just don't have the software showing the swings. Whatever the reason, it works perfectly well for my needs.

I did tweak the settings to get the grill to match my Thermoworks as close as possible.

That said, I’m not sure your test method is giving you a true inside temperature. You are measuring at the very top of the cooking chamber where heat accumulates but that’s not where you cook. You really need to measure the temperature about an inch above the grilling surface.
I arrange the thermocouples down almost against the cooking grid close to what I am cooking. I figure that is where the meat is that I am cooking so the readings should be pretty close to what the meat is absorbing.

I arrange the thermocouples down almost against the cooking grid close to what I am cooking. I figure that is where the meat is that I am cooking so the readings should be pretty close to what the meat is absorbing.
OK, sounds like you have a grill that is running hotter than usual. As long as you are measuring just above the cooking grid and your measuring device is accurate, the readings you are getting should also be accurate.

I have no problems with it after I started using the thermometer with the two thermocuples. The right hand side of the grill running a little hotter is no big deal for me.

My 340 seems to run pretty good. The smooking temps run fairly true. The right side seems to be a little higher. But that hasn't been a problem. The probes work great. Every now and again the temp spikes high by about 20 degrees, but settles down to steady. I had 1 kboom when the temps dropped real low. Figured it was a pellet bridge in the hopper. I watch the temps and when that happens I use something to push the pellets down to the auger. The app works well. Shows the cooking temp and probe temps. I didn't upgrade to the new app. The only thing I wished I would have done was put a seal on the lid to keep it clean.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back