Anyone using the RT-340?

Jim6820

The Crazy Basque!
Premium Member
Military Veteran
Grill(s) owned
  1. Trailblazer
I know the RT-340 is a smaller unit, but is still big enough for a small turkey, full brisket, etc. With just the two of us at our house, it works very well for us. I’m working on a wheel modification (similar to what I’ve seen for the RT-590/700) to make it a bit easier to move around.

Would love to compare notes with other RT-340 users.

ol' stonebreaker

Military Veteran
Grill(s) owned
  1. RT-300
For grilling large items I'll suggest swapping ends with it as I found grilling bacon the right side is some hotter. I've never checked grill temps on different spots just sayin' my experience with the bacon.

padlin00

Military Veteran
Grill(s) owned
  1. Trailblazer
2 of us here too. The only thing I run into is the headroom is fairly low when I put in a 12 lb turkey breast. If I put the bird in an aluminum pan on a small rack, the top of the 8 lb breast just clears the door opening. Yes a full packer fits, at least the 13 pounders I've done do. FWIW, I got a 12 lb breast, and a small 6 lb ham in there together, they just fit. I did one full turkey when I first got the grill, I did it spatchcocked but do not remember how big it was.

Might want to setup the bird once thawed however you want to cook it and measure so you know it'll go in the opening before you commit.

On edit, after reading Stonebreakers post. Mine runs about 25 degrees hotter on the rt side.

Jim6820

The Crazy Basque!
Premium Member
Military Veteran
Grill(s) owned
  1. Trailblazer
I think this member of the RT family does not get enough love :)
I agree! For us, this is a capable little pellet grill/smoker. And, it fits in one of our motorhome storage bays, so it can go on the road with us. What’s not to like about that?

As for hot spots, I’ve never found a grill or smoker of any kind that didn’t have a temperature variance someplace. You just have to learn to work with them.

Bytor

Grill(s) owned
  1. Trailblazer
Been using mine for two years now, with a family of five. I bought the extra rack that works great for ribs and extra stuff. I've done turkey breasts a bunch and a couple whole ones that were around 12 or so pounds, spatchcocked. Height can be an issue at times, although I have smoked everything on it that I set out to. Did a full packer that was just at 15 lbs easily. Definitely suggest rotating the meat around the halfway mark though. These are hotter on the right side than left. However, they take very little time to get to temp and hold on to it quite well. Makes the pellets go a long way.

JJP

Grill(s) owned
  1. Trailblazer
I own a 340 and Love it. It's just the wife and me. Mostly grill fish on it. Have several of those grill mats. Turn it on with the app, season the fish, and wait until the fish hits 155 degrees. We don't eat very much meat, but I have done bb ribs, beef back ribs, ribeye steaks, chicken thighs and more. I want to do a brisket, and dino beef ribs. Just haven't found the at the right price and time at the store. It's really not that small of a grill for 2. Works every time. holds temps well. The app even works.

Charlie

Grill(s) owned
  1. Trailblazer
Hotter on the right had to recalibrate mine (it was off 25+degrees)after the app update on the phone
(which I hate) setting the temp from the phone is difficult I prefer the + and -
temp setting adjustment method.(please bring it back)

MikeK

Grill(s) owned
  1. Bull
I don't really notice hot spots on mine. It pretty much mirrors my thermoworks thermometers. I've done up to 20lbs briskets which is about it's limit. Works great for smaller smokes and is much easier to control temps. It's my go to smoker for 95% of my grilling. The only time I bring out my 700 is when I have the family and friends over and I'm doing baby back ribs. In those times the 340 just doesn't have the area needed. There are times I even have both smokers going because I'll have 9+ racks going. It's a great combo to have if you can swing for two grills. I see no point in the 1250 as it's just another 700 with an extra rack. You could add another rack to the 700 and save yourself the cost.

JeneP

Grill(s) owned
  1. Trailblazer
I did pork belly bacon today. The right side of the grill is about 10-15 cooler so swapped sides with the 2 pieces so use a thermometer to check grill temps if that is important to your cook

I built a little caddy from scraps of wood on the farm with casters to move mine in and out of the garage. Will say I used zip ties and eye bolts by the legs to keep it steady on the platform. It’s super easy to move now.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.