Anyone Remove the Hopper Grate?

Carsononline

Grill(s) owned
  1. Trailblazer
Dumped some pellets that had too much sawdust in them and want to clean it out well, but the hopper grate is in the way. Looks like its glued in. Anyone remove theirs?* Seems like it would be easier to remove pellets with that gone too.

*I know this is a safety hazard...

There are four screws (that I had to look close to see once I had removed enough of the pellets to get below the grate) that secure it . Once unscrewed the grate came out easily. I removed the grate because I was having some pellet feed issues. The issues have gone away since the grate was removed. Just be careful around the augar.

Yeah, I saw the screws once the pellets went low. I'm thinking of removing it to clean out the dust. I can see the safety point of view, but I will be the only one accessing it. I just want to be able to vac it out from time to time.

If it's like another smoker I have, I removed the 4 screws, pulled-out the guard, reinserted the screws, then just placed the guard back in place without securing it.

Would this be the same on the 590? Are the screws below the guard level?

Yeah, there's 4 screws holding it in place. I removed the guard and put the screws back in. The guard now just sits on the inside frame of the hopper. There seems to be a bunch of dust/powder residue needing cleaned out. I wonder if this residue rides out to the end of the auger and gets burnt, or if it remains in the auger?
Hopper.jpg

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back